Thread: Incorporating tables from other databases.

zygon Guest

Incorporating tables from other databases.

Is it possible to incorporate a table from another database into a relationship structure? I wish to set up a global db with common information which will be needed by other dbs, can I do it?
    Thankyou

Ray Miao Guest

Incorporating tables from other databases. (reply)

No.

------------
    zygon at 4/27/01 11:01:24 AM

Is it possible to incorporate a table from another database into a relationship structure? I wish to set up a global db with common information which will be needed by other dbs, can I do it?
    Thankyou

merle martell Guest

Incorporating tables from other databases. (reply)

You can set up a database link to allow access to the data in the global database from other SQL Servers. You can not only read, but also insert, update and delete using this link, if you'd like. You CANNOT define referential constraints to protect the integrity of relationships, though.

If you use data from the global database in other tables, then delete or update the row from the global database later, you will have invalid references in the dependent tables.

------------
    Ray Miao at 4/27/01 1:05:28 PM

No.

------------
    zygon at 4/27/01 11:01:24 AM

Thankyou