Thread: Passing variables from Access to SQL

mike franklin Guest

Passing variables from Access to SQL

Hi,
    I have created a view. However this view needs a specific variable that a user has inputted in Access. The variable I need to pass into the first view is a DocketID..Similar to a StoreID. I then must run the second view, which also depends on the same DocketID. Finally I must run a final query that takes the result from the second view, which takes the results of the first view.
    Basically, I want to pass the variable from my VBA application to the SQL statement. I have been reading, and it seems that like in VB I must declare a local variable in a DECLARE statement. Is that right?
    How would I pass the variable that can be held in the VBA application ex. DocketId = 220 and pass that 220 to my SQL statement which is running is SQL 7.0. Most of the statement will be running in SQL, not the VBA application.

Lazarus Long Guest

Passing variables from Access to SQL (reply)

did you try upsizing the access database? or dts in sql?

------------
    mike franklin at 4/24/01 11:16:32 AM

Hi,
    I have created a view. However this view needs a specific variable that a user has inputted in Access. The variable I need to pass into the first view is a DocketID..Similar to a StoreID. I then must run the second view, which also depends on the same DocketID. Finally I must run a final query that takes the result from the second view, which takes the results of the first view.
    Basically, I want to pass the variable from my VBA application to the SQL statement. I have been reading, and it seems that like in VB I must declare a local variable in a DECLARE statement. Is that right?
    How would I pass the variable that can be held in the VBA application ex. DocketId = 220 and pass that 220 to my SQL statement which is running is SQL 7.0. Most of the statement will be running in SQL, not the VBA application.

mike franklin Guest

upsizing? don't understand

I have used DTS, but for larger queries. This is a realitively small query, and I need to take what the user has inputed in a text box, and run a few nested queries with that Docket ID here is my first view for example:

SELECT DSTA.DocketID,
    GTTA.DistCode, Min(GTTA.Offset)
    AS MinOfOffset
    FROM [dbo].DocketStoreTA DSTA INNER JOIN
    [dbo].TAGeogTypes GTTA ON
    DSTA.TAID = GTTA.TAID
    GROUP BY DSTA.DocketID, GTTA.DistCode

I need a WHERE statement to hold the variable paseed from ACCESS

ex. WHERE DSTA.DockeID = [VARIABLE GOES HERE]

------------
    Lazarus Long at 4/24/01 11:28:00 AM

------------

Hi,
    Basically, I want to pass the variable from my VBA application to the SQL statement. I have been reading, and it seems that like in VBA I must declare a local variable in a DECLARE statement. Is that right?

Hiku Guest

Mike,
    YOu need to write a store procedure something like...
    create procedure test
    @dockeId int as
    begin
    SELECT DSTA.DocketID,
    AS MinOfOffset
    DSTA.TAID = GTTA.TAID
    where DSTA.DockeID = @dockeID
    end

then to execute "exec test 123". You might have to use ASP for
    passing the variable to SQL. There might be other routes but I use
    ASP.
    Hth

------------
    mike franklin at 4/24/01 11:41:36 AM

upsizing? don't understand

I have used DTS, but for larger queries. This is a realitively small query, and I need to take what the user has inputed in a text box, and run a few nested queries with that Docket ID here is my first view for example:

SELECT DSTA.DocketID,
    AS MinOfOffset
    DSTA.TAID = GTTA.TAID

I need a WHERE statement to hold the variable paseed from ACCESS

ex. WHERE DSTA.DockeID = [VARIABLE GOES HERE]

------------
    Lazarus Long at 4/24/01 11:28:00 AM

------------

Hi,
    Basically, I want to pass the variable from my VBA application to the SQL statement. I have been reading, and it seems that like in VBA I must declare a local variable in a DECLARE statement. Is that right?

mike franklin Guest

thanks...it worked

------------

Hi,