Thread: Recommended file locations?

ann Guest

Recommended file locations?

I know I've seen documentation on this but I can't find it at the time. What's the recommended file locations for a SQL install.. System and Data on a RAID drive and logs on a separate drive that's mirrored..? Oh and if anyone has links to this info let me know also.

Thx!

MAK Guest

Recommended file locations? (reply)

http://www.swynk.com/discuss_sql7/GetMessage.asp?RootID=76317&ID=76342

-MAK

------------
    ann at 4/23/01 3:36:30 PM

I know I've seen documentation on this but I can't find it at the time. What's the recommended file locations for a SQL install.. System and Data on a RAID drive and logs on a separate drive that's mirrored..? Oh and if anyone has links to this info let me know also.

Thx!

Karl Guest

I'd put the log file on a RAID one array. The reason for this is because RAID 1 is twice as fast for writes as RAID 5 and because you hardly ever read from a log file, you always write to it, it doesn't make sense to use RAID 5. The extra cost of RAID 1 is sometimes an issue. As long as you're aware of the drawbacks of using RAID 5 over RAID 1. A reason you might use RAID 5 over RAID 1 is because the log files are so big that they don't fit on one disk, thus excluding RAID 1 as an option.

For the data files, it depends on what your system us being used for. If alot of transactions are going through and you have a lot of disk writes then RAID 5 might not be the best solution. For those that can afford it, use RAID 10. If however the system is used mainly for queries, then RAID 5 is suitable for the data files.

Here's what we use:

C drive - RAID 1 for the operating system software - (don't need RAID 5 as the operating system will easily fit on one disk drive.

D drive - application software including sql server install.

H drive - RAID 10 for data files

O drive - RAID 1 for log files

T drive - RAID 1 for tempdb

E drive - RAID 5 for SQL Server backups - use RAID 5 instead of 1 because of the size of the backups plus for cost. Doesn't impact backup performance so much that it's detrimental.

F drive - RAID 5 or 1 for tran log backups

G drive - RAID 5 for replication synch files

Regards,

Karl

------------

Thx!

Me Guest

Depends how much you can afford.

At a minimum, make sure your data and logs are on separate channels. I'd have the O/S and swap file on C:, SQL Server and the data on D:, and the log on E:, for instance.

Regarding RAID, there's no shame in having your both your data and logs on RAID 5 if that's all your budget permits. Just make sure your hardware vendor understands you're buying the box for a SQL Server.

------------

Thx!

Steve_D Guest

Do a search at Microsoft.com SQL Server support site for "Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Perfromance Tuning Guide", a 46 page white paper that should help you decide what's right for your environment.