Thread: Read DataBase file

Melih Guest

Read DataBase file

Hi,
    I received a SQL Server 6.5 database (.dat and .Log files). I'm currently running 7.0. Is there any way to read/import this data?
    I tried to do this:
    I have installed SQL Server 6.5. And After install, I have created a database with the same names (.dat an .log) and make it bigger than the first .dat and .log files.
    Then, I have stoped the SQL server service, have deleted the .DAT and .LOG files that i have created, and have copied the first .DAT and .LOG in their place. I have Started the SQL server service and the database was beeing suspected. I stil unable to read data.
    Can you help me?

Juergen Leis Guest

Read DataBase file (reply)

First make sure your 6.5 Server has same sort order and code page as the originating server, then add the devices in the same order and same size as on the originating server ( Check sysdevices and sysusages for compliance )
    create the database on the devices, stop SQL server, replace the devices and restart SQL Server.

Alternativly use DISK REINIT and DISK REFIT to add the devices and the database.

------------
    Melih at 1/17/2002 4:02:28 AM

Hi,
    I received a SQL Server 6.5 database (.dat and .Log files). I'm currently running 7.0. Is there any way to read/import this data?
    I tried to do this:
    I have installed SQL Server 6.5. And After install, I have created a database with the same names (.dat an .log) and make it bigger than the first .dat and .log files.
    Then, I have stoped the SQL server service, have deleted the .DAT and .LOG files that i have created, and have copied the first .DAT and .LOG in their place. I have Started the SQL server service and the database was beeing suspected. I stil unable to read data.
    Can you help me?