Thread: SQL Questions

Melissa Guest

SQL Questions

I am not too familiar with SQL Server, but my supervisor gave me the task of finding out the difference between SQL Enterprise and SQL Standard. He also asked me to research the difference between processor licences and client access licences. I will use the Internet as a resource, but I would also like to hear the opinions of someone who uses these programs or is knowledgable about them. So please any suggestions or any useful links would be very helpful.

ItsMeAgain Guest

SQL Questions (reply)

Melissa, the simplest way is by calling Microsoft.

------------
    Melissa at 5/4/01 2:21:37 PM

I am not too familiar with SQL Server, but my supervisor gave me the task of finding out the difference between SQL Enterprise and SQL Standard. He also asked me to research the difference between processor licences and client access licences. I will use the Internet as a resource, but I would also like to hear the opinions of someone who uses these programs or is knowledgable about them. So please any suggestions or any useful links would be very helpful.

SM Guest

SQL Questions (reply)

The microsoft website has some good information on what you are looking for regarding the licenses. Below is a copy of what is on the MS books On Line. There is also a website for the SQL Magazine that has some good information and links (http://www.sqlmag.com/).

here is the info from BOL:
    SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition

Used as a production database server. Supports all features available in SQL Server 2000, and scales to the performance levels required to support the largest Web sites and enterprise online transaction processing (OLTP) and data warehousing systems.

SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition

Used as a database server for a small workgroup or department.

SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition

Used by mobile users who spend some of their time disconnected from the network but run applications that require SQL Server data storage. Also used when running a stand-alone application that requires local SQL Server data storage on a client computer.

SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition

Used by programmers developing applications that use SQL Server 2000 as their data store. Although the Developer Edition supports all the features of the Enterprise Edition that allow developers to write and test applications that can use the features, the Developer Edition is licensed for use only as a development and test system, not a production server.

SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition

Microsoft® SQL Server 2000™ Windows® CE Edition (SQL Server CE) is used as the data store on Windows CE devices. Capable of replicating data with any edition of SQL Server 2000 to keep Windows CE data synchronized with the primary database.

SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation Edition

Full-featured version available by a free download from the Web. Intended only for use in evaluating the features of SQL Server; this version will stop running 120 days after downloading.

In addition to these editions of SQL Server 2000, the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is a component that allows application developers to distribute a copy of the SQL Server 2000 relational database engine with their applications. While functionality of the database engine in the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is similar to the database engine in the SQL Server Editions, the size of Desktop Engine databases cannot exceed 2 GB.

Both the SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine have a concurrent workload governor that limits the performance of the database engine when more than 5 batches are executed concurrently. For more information about the concurrent workload governor,

------------

Jaya Guest

SQL Questions (reply)

visit
    www.microsoft.com/servers/proclic.htm

www.microsoft.com/sql
    ------------
    SM at 5/4/01 3:37:45 PM

The microsoft website has some good information on what you are looking for regarding the licenses. Below is a copy of what is on the MS books On Line. There is also a website for the SQL Magazine that has some good information and links (http://www.sqlmag.com/).

here is the info from BOL:
    SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition

Used as a production database server. Supports all features available in SQL Server 2000, and scales to the performance levels required to support the largest Web sites and enterprise online transaction processing (OLTP) and data warehousing systems.

SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition

Used as a database server for a small workgroup or department.

SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition

Used by mobile users who spend some of their time disconnected from the network but run applications that require SQL Server data storage. Also used when running a stand-alone application that requires local SQL Server data storage on a client computer.

SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition

Used by programmers developing applications that use SQL Server 2000 as their data store. Although the Developer Edition supports all the features of the Enterprise Edition that allow developers to write and test applications that can use the features, the Developer Edition is licensed for use only as a development and test system, not a production server.

SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition

Microsoft® SQL Server 2000™ Windows® CE Edition (SQL Server CE) is used as the data store on Windows CE devices. Capable of replicating data with any edition of SQL Server 2000 to keep Windows CE data synchronized with the primary database.

SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation Edition

Full-featured version available by a free download from the Web. Intended only for use in evaluating the features of SQL Server; this version will stop running 120 days after downloading.

In addition to these editions of SQL Server 2000, the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is a component that allows application developers to distribute a copy of the SQL Server 2000 relational database engine with their applications. While functionality of the database engine in the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is similar to the database engine in the SQL Server Editions, the size of Desktop Engine databases cannot exceed 2 GB.

Both the SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine have a concurrent workload governor that limits the performance of the database engine when more than 5 batches are executed concurrently. For more information about the concurrent workload governor,

------------