Thread: urgent ! backup jobs

Ann Behringer Guest

urgent ! backup jobs

Hi,

Schedule backup job which usually completes in 1 to 2 minutes, it's been running for over three hours. Meanwhile transact log backup job executed and it's hanging also.

I stopped the jobs, which now shows last run status 'cancelled'. But the spid still exeists in 'current activity' pane with status 'runnable'.
    No locks or blocks!

Is there anyway I can get rid of this spids so that I can start backup job again?

It's very urgent..

THanks

cal Guest

urgent ! backup jobs (reply)

it's best to use master..sysprocesses table or sp_who/sp_who2

kill the process - kill (spid)

or use GUI (EM) right click the spid and select kill process.

------------
    Ann Behringer at 3/27/01 1:17:58 PM

Hi,

Schedule backup job which usually completes in 1 to 2 minutes, it's been running for over three hours. Meanwhile transact log backup job executed and it's hanging also.

I stopped the jobs, which now shows last run status 'cancelled'. But the spid still exeists in 'current activity' pane with status 'runnable'.
    No locks or blocks!

Is there anyway I can get rid of this spids so that I can start backup job again?

It's very urgent..

THanks

ann behringer Guest

Hi cal,

I killed all related spids about two hours ago but nothing works..all the processes are still in runnable mode

------------
    cal at 3/27/01 1:47:30 PM

------------

Hi,

No locks or blocks!

It's very urgent..

THanks

cal Guest

Ann,

can you verify using the following (block or open transaction) if any process did block you backup process.

select spid, blocked, open_tran
    from master..sysprocesses
    where open_tran > 0 or blocked > 0

Check on the CPU utilize or DISK I/O

if you did use the KILL command and nothing was resovle, I guess the last thing is to stop sql agent service.

------------
    ann behringer at 3/27/01 1:55:54 PM

Hi cal,

I killed all related spids about two hours ago but nothing works..all the processes are still in runnable mode

------------

------------

Hi,

No locks or blocks!

It's very urgent..

THanks

Cal,

I already have restarted sql agent services..I haven't noticed any locks or blocking either on these processes or on other spids because of these spids.
    CPU usage is 141 for DB backup job. The transaction log backup job has 0 cpu usage and mem usage 3. no open tran either.It seems that this spids are doing nothing and I have to stop and restart sql services as the last resource.

Thank you very much for your suggestions..

------------
    cal at 3/27/01 3:05:11 PM

Ann,

can you verify using the following (block or open transaction) if any process did block you backup process.

select spid, blocked, open_tran
    from master..sysprocesses
    where open_tran > 0 or blocked > 0

Check on the CPU utilize or DISK I/O

if you did use the KILL command and nothing was resovle, I guess the last thing is to stop sql agent service.

------------
    ann behringer at 3/27/01 1:55:54 PM

Hi cal,

------------

------------

Hi,

No locks or blocks!

It's very urgent..

THanks