Thread: Back up database to a different server

JW Guest

Back up database to a different server

I am trying to back up database to a different server. I am able to map the serve to my current ones, however, when I go to Enterprise Manager - back up DB, I can not see the mapped drive from back up file location, I wasn't able to see any other disk location but the local drives.

Can somebody tell me how can I back up database to a different server from Enterprise Manager or any syntax?

Thanks.

cal Guest

Back up database to a different server (reply)

used UNC file name

\servernamesharename est.bak
    or
    create a backup device pointing to the previous path

------------
    JW at 3/26/01 1:16:33 PM

I am trying to back up database to a different server. I am able to map the serve to my current ones, however, when I go to Enterprise Manager - back up DB, I can not see the mapped drive from back up file location, I wasn't able to see any other disk location but the local drives.

Can somebody tell me how can I back up database to a different server from Enterprise Manager or any syntax?

Thanks.

MAK Guest

and also make sure the login has write access to the other server

------------
    cal at 3/26/01 1:24:56 PM

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

I got "Incorrect syntax" error message, when I use the code which I list below. please send me more detail . Thanks.

=================================
    BACKUP DATABASE Northwind
    TO '\servernameC$ est.bak'

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

Dmitri Guest

Hi,

use the next syntax:

BACKUP DATABASE pubs TO disk = '\sdbd$mssql7pubs.bak'
    WITH FORMAT,
    NAME = 'Full Backup of pubs'

------------
    at 3/26/01 1:55:42 PM

I got "Incorrect syntax" error message, when I use the code which I list below. please send me more detail . Thanks.

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

If the backup is to be performed over the network to a disk on a remote computer, but we did not install SQL Sever on the remote computer, because we only want to use space on the remote computer, can we still do the backup over the network to a disk on a remote computer?

Thank you very much!

------------
    Dmitri at 3/26/01 2:24:04 PM

Hi,

use the next syntax:

WITH FORMAT,

------------

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

Jun Guest

------------
    at 3/26/01 3:47:07 PM

If the backup is to be performed over the network to a disk on a remote computer, but we did not install SQL Sever on the remote computer, because we only want to use space on the remote computer, can we still do the backup over the network to a disk on a remote computer?

Thank you very much!

------------

Hi,

use the next syntax:

WITH FORMAT,

------------

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

Jun Guest

------------

Thank you very much!

------------

Hi,

use the next syntax:

WITH FORMAT,

------------

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

Jun Guest

Yes. You can back up your SQL databases to remote computer, as long as you SQL account has permission to access that remote computer and your remote computer belongs to your domain. But you cann't back up your SQL databases to a remote tape drive.

Jun

------------

Thank you very much!

------------

Hi,

use the next syntax:

WITH FORMAT,

------------

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

Please tell me how can I know my SQL account has permission to access that remote computer?

I have used the next syntax

WITH FORMAT,

I got the below error message:
    Cannot open backup device, Device error or device off-line, Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

Help please!

------------
    Jun at 3/26/01 4:11:12 PM

Yes. You can back up your SQL databases to remote computer, as long as you SQL account has permission to access that remote computer and your remote computer belongs to your domain. But you cann't back up your SQL databases to a remote tape drive.

Jun

------------

Thank you very much!

------------

Hi,

use the next syntax:

WITH FORMAT,

------------

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.

Jun Guest

What SQL Account (Standrad SQL account, or trusted NT account) are you using to run your SQL statement? Check the permission of your SQL account and your NT account? If you are not in System Admin Role and nor have the right to backup database, you CANN'T do the backup. If you're DBA and used your system admin account, you should be able to run the backup staement as long as you have the right permission to WRITE on "\sdbd$mssql7". Again you should check with your NT System Admin (if yourself are not the admin).

Jun

------------
    at 3/26/01 4:21:55 PM

Please tell me how can I know my SQL account has permission to access that remote computer?

I have used the next syntax

WITH FORMAT,

I got the below error message:
    Cannot open backup device, Device error or device off-line, Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

Help please!

------------
    Jun at 3/26/01 4:11:12 PM

Jun

------------

Thank you very much!

------------

Hi,

use the next syntax:

WITH FORMAT,

------------

------------

used UNC file name

or

------------

Thanks.