Thread: Error 5180 Severity 22 State 0

Sri Guest

Error 5180 Severity 22 State 0

Hi,
    I am working on a project where I have to corrupt the MS SqlServer database in a test environment and generate the following error in the NT Event log:

5180 22 1 Could not open FCB for invalid file ID %din
    database '%.*ls'. Table or database may be corrupted.

Can some one tell me the sequence of steps that I need to follow to generate the above error messages.

I found one database corruption script in www.swynk.com. but that was not useful to generate the above error messages.

Please help.

Thanks
    Sri

Error 5180 Severity 22 State 0 (reply)

Hi I picked this information from microsoft site, thought may help you.

Reading a big text or image column within a session, which has the isolation level set to READ UNCOMMITED, may cause the following error message to occur.

A text or image column is returned to the client in a sequence of text blocks. The size of those blocks is limited by the network packet size. If the row holding the text or image column happens to be deleted by another session while the other client still has not retrieved all text blocks, the pages previously assigned to the text data might get allocated by another session and be overwritten by this session.

In this case, the dirty reader might not become aware of this fact and continue to read text chunks from the deleted row. However, because some of the text data pages were overwritten with arbitrary data, the pointer to the next text page might also become corrupted and thus an invalid page number is being referenced. The 5180 error message occurs due to an invalid file ID in the page number. Other errors might also occur, depending on the kind of corruption being introduced by the writer.

------------
    Sri at 3/14/01 12:48:45 PM

Hi,
    I am working on a project where I have to corrupt the MS SqlServer database in a test environment and generate the following error in the NT Event log:

5180 22 1 Could not open FCB for invalid file ID %din
    database '%.*ls'. Table or database may be corrupted.

Can some one tell me the sequence of steps that I need to follow to generate the above error messages.

I found one database corruption script in www.swynk.com. but that was not useful to generate the above error messages.

Please help.

Thanks
    Sri