Thread: Linked Server

Richard Guest

Linked Server

I must be going crazy!!! I am trying to set up a linked server. I can get it to work one way but not the other. One of the boxes is SQL 2000 and the other is SQL 7. The SQL 7 can query the SQL 2000 but the SQL 2000 cannot query the SQL 7. I set up the passwords the same and I am running the same script select * from APOLLO.HRSC.dbo.PS_ABS_CD_TBL_LANG, I just change the Server and the database name. The error I get is:

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]

Has anyone seen this before?

Help Please

John Guest

Linked Server (reply)

------------
    Richard at 5/23/2002 5:33:38 PM

I would guess the problem is in the server communnication. Ensure the machines can ping each other and that in EM, you can retrieve the table list when expanding the linked server. It could be a network thing, adding to WINS or LMHosts. Also register each others server in EM to ensure connectivity. Hope this helps....
    John

I must be going crazy!!! I am trying to set up a linked server. I can get it to work one way but not the other. One of the boxes is SQL 2000 and the other is SQL 7. The SQL 7 can query the SQL 2000 but the SQL 2000 cannot query the SQL 7. I set up the passwords the same and I am running the same script select * from APOLLO.HRSC.dbo.PS_ABS_CD_TBL_LANG, I just change the Server and the database name. The error I get is:

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]

Has anyone seen this before?

Help Please