Thread: Public Role

Maria Guest

Public Role

I am new at this and we encountered a problem. Can names in the public role be deleted? We have some names that need to go - however the delete option does not high light?

I would appreciate your help..

Ray Miao Guest

Public Role (reply)

Can't, every user has to be member of public role.

------------
    Maria at 5/13/2002 2:49:30 PM

I am new at this and we encountered a problem. Can names in the public role be deleted? We have some names that need to go - however the delete option does not high light?

MAria Guest

Public Role (reply)

We removed the user - plus they are no longer with the company - when we removed them they did not remove from Public????

So does this mean if we remove them as user they will always stay in public?

------------
    Ray Miao at 5/13/2002 3:00:36 PM

------------

Ray Miao Guest

Public Role (reply)

It should go away if you delete sql login.

------------
    MAria at 5/13/2002 3:48:51 PM

We removed the user - plus they are no longer with the company - when we removed them they did not remove from Public????

------------

------------

MAria Guest

Public Role (reply)

------------
    Ray Miao at 5/13/2002 4:53:28 PM

------------

I appreciate your help - thank you.

If we do this - which we did and their name still shows up under public - then what other suggestions do you have to offer?

------------

------------

Maria Guest

Public Role (reply)

If below does not work - is there any other options?

The only thing we are running right now until it gets cleaned up is ASAP databases.

------------

------------

------------

------------

TimH Guest

Public Role (reply)

Hi Maria,

What we do is to right click the server in Enterprise Manager. Click on the Server Settings tab and click in the 'Allow modifications to be made directly to the system catalogs'

Now go to your database and open the Sysusers database. Delete any 'old users'. Be careful to only delete the ones you want to remove from Public.

Good luck,

TimH

------------
    Maria at 5/14/2002 10:28:49 AM

The only thing we are running right now until it gets cleaned up is ASAP databases.

------------

------------

------------

------------

Maria Guest

Public Role (reply)

Thank you Tim - I beleived that helped.

Maria

------------

------------

------------

------------

------------

TimH Guest

Public Role (reply)

Hi Maria,

I meant open the Sysusers table in your database, not the sysusers database (doh !). I guess you figured that out already though.

Good luck,

Tim

------------
    Maria at 5/14/2002 1:31:23 PM

Thank you Tim - I beleived that helped.

Maria

------------

------------

------------

------------

------------