Thread: Moved sql served db is missing tables -- Master db issue?

David L Guest

Moved sql served db is missing tables -- Master db issue?

I recently moved the db to a new server using detach and reattach sproc. However the moved db in its new location does not have any of the tables or sprocs that I created. As I understand it, information on the databases on the server is stored in the master db. Could it be that the tables are not showing up because the master db on the new server knows nothing of the new db? Must I also copy the master from the other server, perhaps? Has anybody come across this before? TIA D. Lewis

David L Guest

Moved sql served db is missing tables -- Master db issue? (reply)

Yes, I installed both, have the same passwords on each, etc. Actually, there are no users or roles or anything defined yet on any of the dbs.

To make sure the tables didn't get copied, as it appears, I created an Access adp on the new server, linking to the reattached db using the 'sa' account, and even via this way the db shows up as empty. I will try the whole process again, and see what happens. Any and all comments welcome. TIA. D. Lewis

------------
    Juergen Leis at 1/11/2002 8:55:17 AM

Are You sure You are dbo or sa on the new server ?
    Your logins were not copied, but your useres in your database were,
    hence a User from your detached/attached database might be
    associated with a different (accidential) login on the new server.

------------
    Ray Miao at 1/11/2002 8:33:27 AM

But info of db objects is stored in db itself, that's sysobjects.

------------
    David L at 1/10/2002 4:57:53 PM

I recently moved the db to a new server using detach and reattach sproc. However the moved db in its new location does not have any of the tables or sprocs that I created. As I understand it, information on the databases on the server is stored in the master db. Could it be that the tables are not showing up because the master db on the new server knows nothing of the new db? Must I also copy the master from the other server, perhaps? Has anybody come across this before? TIA D. Lewis

David L Guest

Moved sql served db is missing tables -- Master db issue? (reply)

I looked at it further, and it is exactly as you said. Thanks.

------------
    Juergen Leis at 1/11/2002 8:55:17 AM

Are You sure You are dbo or sa on the new server ?
    Your logins were not copied, but your useres in your database were,
    hence a User from your detached/attached database might be
    associated with a different (accidential) login on the new server.

------------
    Ray Miao at 1/11/2002 8:33:27 AM

But info of db objects is stored in db itself, that's sysobjects.

------------
    David L at 1/10/2002 4:57:53 PM