Thread: Select Output

Richard Guest

Select Output

Another question for all you SQL experts, I have a lot of them. I am trying to select from a table wher some conditions need to be met based on an employee ID. What I am doing is when the rank is a 1,2, or 3 I pick up the text description of that rank. Can I make it so that I get the ID only once and all the text descriptions are on the same line. Here is the sql script along with my current output and my desired output.

--SQL SCRIPT__

select C.empID, B.Rank,B.Text1 as Skills from tbl_survey_rank B , tbl_survey_valueID C
    where PATINDEX ( '%'+ltrim(rtrim(B.valueID))+'%' , C.text1) >0 and C.empID = '2924'and
    (B.Rank ='1'or B.Rank ='2' or B.Rank ='3&#39

--CURRENT OUTPUT--

empID Rank Skills
    ------- ---- --------------------------------------------------
    2924 1 Create Documents
    2924 2 Mail Merge
    2924 3 Create Header and footer
    2924 3 Create Spreadsheet
    2924 3 Joining Tables in a Query

--DESIRED OUTPUT--

empID Rank Skills
    ------ ---- ------------
    2924 1 Create Documents
    2924 2 Mail Merge
    2924 3 Create Header and footer, Joining Tables in a Query, Create Spreadsheet

MAK Guest

Select Output (reply)

You need to use Cursor to do that.

------------
    Richard at 5/7/2002 7:28:15 PM

Another question for all you SQL experts, I have a lot of them. I am trying to select from a table wher some conditions need to be met based on an employee ID. What I am doing is when the rank is a 1,2, or 3 I pick up the text description of that rank. Can I make it so that I get the ID only once and all the text descriptions are on the same line. Here is the sql script along with my current output and my desired output.

--SQL SCRIPT__

select C.empID, B.Rank,B.Text1 as Skills from tbl_survey_rank B , tbl_survey_valueID C
    where PATINDEX ( '%'+ltrim(rtrim(B.valueID))+'%' , C.text1) >0 and C.empID = '2924'and
    (B.Rank ='1'or B.Rank ='2' or B.Rank ='3&#39

--CURRENT OUTPUT--

empID Rank Skills
    ------- ---- --------------------------------------------------
    2924 1 Create Documents
    2924 2 Mail Merge
    2924 3 Create Header and footer
    2924 3 Create Spreadsheet
    2924 3 Joining Tables in a Query

--DESIRED OUTPUT--

empID Rank Skills
    ------ ---- ------------
    2924 1 Create Documents
    2924 2 Mail Merge
    2924 3 Create Header and footer, Joining Tables in a Query, Create Spreadsheet