Thread: Differential Backups

Lisa Guest

Differential Backups

I know that the differential backup will only back up information that was changed since the last full database backup, but I have process that I need to implement and need to know if differentials will work.

1. Perform full database backup on Sunday.
    2. Perform differential backups Monday thru Friday (twice a day).
    3. Perform a database restore on the following Sunday from the backup taken on the previous Sunday.
    4. Perform differential backups Monday thru Friday.

At this point I would repeat steps 3 and 4 for the following weeks.

My question is this. Since I didn't actually perform a backup in step 3, but instead performed a database restore, will the differential backup in step 4 backup all of the information changed since step 1??..or will it backup all of the information changed since the restore in step 3? I'm hoping it will only back up the information changed since step 3.

Thanks!

Ray Miao Guest

Differential Backups (reply)

Only need restore last differential backup after restoring full backup. Differential backup is different from incremental backup.

------------
    Lisa at 5/2/2002 1:35:40 PM

I know that the differential backup will only back up information that was changed since the last full database backup, but I have process that I need to implement and need to know if differentials will work.

1. Perform full database backup on Sunday.
    2. Perform differential backups Monday thru Friday (twice a day).
    3. Perform a database restore on the following Sunday from the backup taken on the previous Sunday.
    4. Perform differential backups Monday thru Friday.

At this point I would repeat steps 3 and 4 for the following weeks.

My question is this. Since I didn't actually perform a backup in step 3, but instead performed a database restore, will the differential backup in step 4 backup all of the information changed since step 1??..or will it backup all of the information changed since the restore in step 3? I'm hoping it will only back up the information changed since step 3.

Thanks!