Thread: Free some space of the transaction log .. Urgent help please .!!

Christine Guest

Free some space of the transaction log .. Urgent help please .!!

Hi friends ,

I have a database with around 2 GB space for the data and 5.8 GB for the
    transaction log .
    Now the problem is i do not have any more space on the system and data files requires more space than 2 G.B to execute some stored procedures .

Is it possible to decrease some space of the transaction log , say from 5.8 GB to 2 GB and allocate it to the data files .
    My data and log files are on different drives . I did not find anything related to this topic in the BOL .

Can somebody help me with this problem ? Anthing related to this issue will be of great help to me since i have no expertise in this field .

Thanks and Regards
    Christine S.

dirk Guest

Free some space of the transaction log .. Urgent help please .!! (reply)

Hi Christine,

How come the transaction log is that big? Consider making backup of the transaction log to free up space (it will cleanup the log for all committed transactions). Next use DBCC shrinkfile.
    Another way. Backup the database. detach the database (sp_detach), delete the file that contains the transaction log, and reattach the db (sp_attach-db or sp_attach-single-file-db). During the attach the procedure will create a new and empty log for you.
    Above all check agian BOL on the topics mentioned!

Luck

Dirk

------------
    Christine at 4/11/2002 8:21:40 AM

Hi friends ,

I have a database with around 2 GB space for the data and 5.8 GB for the
    transaction log .
    Now the problem is i do not have any more space on the system and data files requires more space than 2 G.B to execute some stored procedures .

Is it possible to decrease some space of the transaction log , say from 5.8 GB to 2 GB and allocate it to the data files .
    My data and log files are on different drives . I did not find anything related to this topic in the BOL .

Can somebody help me with this problem ? Anthing related to this issue will be of great help to me since i have no expertise in this field .

Thanks and Regards
    Christine S.