Thread: master database on root drive??

Lisa Guest

master database on root drive??

I have a 'need an opinion' question. I've always installed the system databases (master, msdb, model, tempdb) on the root drive (c with the sql application. Then I was thinking, the only things that really should be on the root drive is the sql app itself (and any other required apps). So...my question is, do y'all install the master, etc on a separate drive other than the root, ie d: or e:? The reason I ask is that if the tempdb database has alot of activity, and the database resides on the root drive, could it affect sql performance?

Just wondering. I just started working in a 'virgin' sql environment (setting up sql servers from scratch), and want to have sql installed in the best possible way for performance.

Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.

Dallas Guest

master database on root drive?? (reply)

------------
    Lisa at 4/3/2002 6:47:03 PM

I have a 'need an opinion' question. I've always installed the system databases (master, msdb, model, tempdb) on the root drive (c with the sql application. Then I was thinking, the only things that really should be on the root drive is the sql app itself (and any other required apps). So...my question is, do y'all install the master, etc on a separate drive other than the root, ie d: or e:? The reason I ask is that if the tempdb database has alot of activity, and the database resides on the root drive, could it affect sql performance?

Just wondering. I just started working in a 'virgin' sql environment (setting up sql servers from scratch), and want to have sql installed in the best possible way for performance.

Oops!
    Anyway, everything I have read has been really non-specific concerning the other system databases, and the only thing that I can squeeze out of my numerous tomes regarding tempdb, say it should reside on a drive or striped set that has room to grow and has good performance...pretty vague. Sorry not much help, but 2 cents nonetheless. Personally, I install it as default, but I normally have a large, high performance system volume, like a RAID 1 across 2 36 gig 15k rpm drives.

------------

dirk Guest

Hi Lisa,

Good practice is to separate OS, Data and apps. But then you need 3 physical disks. If you don't have that many disks try stripe set (as dallas advised). Multiple harddrives always give better performance when used accordingly.

------------
    at 4/3/2002 7:55:48 PM

Oops!
    Anyway, everything I have read has been really non-specific concerning the other system databases, and the only thing that I can squeeze out of my numerous tomes regarding tempdb, say it should reside on a drive or striped set that has room to grow and has good performance...pretty vague. Sorry not much help, but 2 cents nonetheless. Personally, I install it as default, but I normally have a large, high performance system volume, like a RAID 1 across 2 36 gig 15k rpm drives.

------------