Thread: Sign (+ / -) discrepancy w/ODBC - HELP!

J Jones Guest

Sign (+ / -) discrepancy w/ODBC - HELP!

I have a SQL 7 db that I use a DTS package to import Oracle data into. The package works fine and imports all the appropriate data. However, if I use an Access 2000 database to attach to the data via ODBC (using the MS SQL Server driver), the negative sign is dropped when displaying data in a table, query, or report.

Same problem in SQL Server - if I query the SQL 7 data via the Query Analyzer, the negative signs are dropped. However, if I query the SQL data using the Enterprise Manager (i.e., Open Table...Return All Rows via right click on the table), the data shows up properly with the negative signs there. Bottom line - the data is correct, but doesn't get displayed correctly in QA or via ODBC.

What gives?! Can anyone explain to me the "connections" that occur between EM and QA? Looks like QA uses a "temporary" ODBC connection to talk to the data, while the EM connects "directly" to the data. Also, what gives with the MS SQL Server ODBC driver - why wouldn't it display the negative signs? Is there a better SQL Server ODBC driver that I should/could use? I've tried configuring the ODBC connection differently, but to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as the data in question is being used in court and absolutely HAS to be accurately displayed.
    Thanks!
    Jeff Jones
    Atlanta, GA

Juergen Leis Guest

Sign (+ / -) discrepancy w/ODBC - HELP! (reply)

Checke "Use regional settings" in QA/Tools/Options/Connection
    and in ODBC Datasource Definition !
    And also Check Your Regional Settings in Contol Panel !

------------
    J Jones at 1/10/2002 8:03:07 AM

I have a SQL 7 db that I use a DTS package to import Oracle data into. The package works fine and imports all the appropriate data. However, if I use an Access 2000 database to attach to the data via ODBC (using the MS SQL Server driver), the negative sign is dropped when displaying data in a table, query, or report.

Same problem in SQL Server - if I query the SQL 7 data via the Query Analyzer, the negative signs are dropped. However, if I query the SQL data using the Enterprise Manager (i.e., Open Table...Return All Rows via right click on the table), the data shows up properly with the negative signs there. Bottom line - the data is correct, but doesn't get displayed correctly in QA or via ODBC.

What gives?! Can anyone explain to me the "connections" that occur between EM and QA? Looks like QA uses a "temporary" ODBC connection to talk to the data, while the EM connects "directly" to the data. Also, what gives with the MS SQL Server ODBC driver - why wouldn't it display the negative signs? Is there a better SQL Server ODBC driver that I should/could use? I've tried configuring the ODBC connection differently, but to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as the data in question is being used in court and absolutely HAS to be accurately displayed.
    Thanks!
    Jeff Jones
    Atlanta, GA

Sign (+ / -) discrepancy w/ODBC - HELP! (reply)

Did that. The regional settings are correct. However, when I check the "Use regional settings", my ODBC connection (in Access) fails completetly - will not display data, only #Name? in every field. My SQL Server ODBC driver is version 3.70.08.20.
    jeff

------------
    Juergen Leis at 1/10/2002 10:27:57 AM

Checke "Use regional settings" in QA/Tools/Options/Connection
    and in ODBC Datasource Definition !
    And also Check Your Regional Settings in Contol Panel !

------------
    J Jones at 1/10/2002 8:03:07 AM

Thanks!
    Jeff Jones
    Atlanta, GA

Sign (+/-) discrepancy w/ODBC

I was searching for clues for the problem we are having with negative signs not displaying for our SQL Server 2000 data when viewed via QA or MS Access, and I found this post from 2002 for J Jones describing the same problem. Our data is copied from Oracle to SS via a DTS package. The only additional wrinkle in our situation is that the data looks fine in QA and MS Access when I run the DTS package myself. It is only when the package is run through Sql Server Agent that the above problem occurs.

Mr. Jones (or anyone) do you recall what the resolution was to this. The thread never said.

Thank you.

Where did you run the package? From your desktop machine? If so, check sql server to see if it has same version of mdac as on your pc.