Thread: Upgrade help

jason Guest

Upgrade help

Hi,
    I plan to move my servers from Windows NT and SQL 7 to Win2K Advanced Server and SQL 2000. I am not going to upgrade the windows server, as I have been told this isn't a good thing. Therefore, I plan to detach my databases, install win2K, install SQL 2000, and then attach the databases. I've read that this works fine, but I am curious as to whether or not I can do this with master and msdb(as I want to keep all logins, jobs, etc). Is this possible? Also, is my plan decent? it seems to be the easiest way to me...
    Thanks!

Larry Guest

Upgrade help (reply)

We went through the same procedure of detaching from NT4/SQL7 and attaching to Win2K/SQL2K. After we were finished, we could not DTS in to the newly attached databases. It turned out that although they were marked correctly as 'database compatibility level 80', after changing it to 70 (and saving), then back to 80 again, the problem was resolved.

------------
    jason at 3/13/01 10:21:21 AM

Hi,
    I plan to move my servers from Windows NT and SQL 7 to Win2K Advanced Server and SQL 2000. I am not going to upgrade the windows server, as I have been told this isn't a good thing. Therefore, I plan to detach my databases, install win2K, install SQL 2000, and then attach the databases. I've read that this works fine, but I am curious as to whether or not I can do this with master and msdb(as I want to keep all logins, jobs, etc). Is this possible? Also, is my plan decent? it seems to be the easiest way to me...
    Thanks!

jason Guest

Upgrade help (reply)

Thanks a lot Larry, am I to assume from your reply that you did indeed attach and detach master and msdb? sorry, I'm just extra nervous

J

------------
    Larry at 3/13/01 10:54:56 AM

We went through the same procedure of detaching from NT4/SQL7 and attaching to Win2K/SQL2K. After we were finished, we could not DTS in to the newly attached databases. It turned out that although they were marked correctly as 'database compatibility level 80', after changing it to 70 (and saving), then back to 80 again, the problem was resolved.

------------
    jason at 3/13/01 10:21:21 AM

Hi,
    Thanks!