Thread: Using a function with other tables

Christina Guest

Using a function with other tables

Hi,

I am in a dilemma. The scenario is:
    I have a table with a long stream (1000 bytes non-fixed length)with delimited words. I need to get the words out in a separate table and do it fast.
    Ideally a cursor is the solution but having added things like User defined functions and Table data types, I was tempted to use these. The master table having about 15 million rows with upto 200 delimited words in each row on an average, the cursor would have taken weeks.

I got very close. I developed the function that will accept a stream of words and return table data that could be inserted into the second table where I wanted it to be. It worked great with a constant string(see the statement below)

select *
    from FnGetWords('aba ba ba baba ba baba bab ababa&#39

The only problem is now I need to pass the stream from another table:
    something like this
    select *
    from FnGetWords(stream), Mastertable

I know a functioncan be called in a select statement but what I need to figure out is how I can use that in the From clause or pass the stream to it without using the cursor.

Any immediate help will be highly appreciated..

Thanks tons in anticipation,
    Christina

Deb Crow Guest

Using a function with other tables (reply)

Christina;

Do you mean SELECT * FROM dbo.FnGetWords

OR

INSERT [permanent table]
    SELECT * FROM dbo.FnGetWords

You must specifiy the owner of the function in any of your statements. It can be called just like any table. You can also return a table in your function. When you create it you declare a datatype TABLE and give it a name. It can be used sort of like a temp table.

Kalen Delaney has several articles in SQL Mag since October of last year on different ways to use User Defined Functions.

I hope this helps.

Deb

------------
    Christina at 2/28/01 9:10:52 PM

Hi,

I am in a dilemma. The scenario is:
    I have a table with a long stream (1000 bytes non-fixed length)with delimited words. I need to get the words out in a separate table and do it fast.
    Ideally a cursor is the solution but having added things like User defined functions and Table data types, I was tempted to use these. The master table having about 15 million rows with upto 200 delimited words in each row on an average, the cursor would have taken weeks.

I got very close. I developed the function that will accept a stream of words and return table data that could be inserted into the second table where I wanted it to be. It worked great with a constant string(see the statement below)

select *
    from FnGetWords('aba ba ba baba ba baba bab ababa&#39

The only problem is now I need to pass the stream from another table:
    something like this
    select *
    from FnGetWords(stream), Mastertable

I know a functioncan be called in a select statement but what I need to figure out is how I can use that in the From clause or pass the stream to it without using the cursor.

Any immediate help will be highly appreciated..

Thanks tons in anticipation,
    Christina