Thread: Protecting Objects from even the SA

Kevin Terrill Guest

Protecting Objects from even the SA

I am currently writing a VB app based around a SQLserver2000 database. I have used stored procedures wherever possible to select/update/delete data. I am planning to distribute this app and wonder whether there are any tricks out there for encrypting/setting security so that even the SA account would be unable to read my stored procedures, but obviously be able to execute them?

There are two scenarios - one is where I want to let someone borrow a laptop just for a few days for a demo. Presumably I just give them an unprivileged user account without interactive logon possibilities, by which I mean Enterprise Manager and the other SQLserver Client tools [can I do this?] and control all access from the app.

The other scenario is when the app is purchased and I no longer have control of the SQL Server nor the SA account.

Any pointers would certainly be very useful indeed. Thanks.

Protecting Objects from even the SA (reply)

you can encrypt the sps, and then no one can view them, even you. just
    keep a copy of the source somewhere else. See BOL for details

------------
    Kevin Terrill at 2/22/01 8:08:32 AM

I am currently writing a VB app based around a SQLserver2000 database. I have used stored procedures wherever possible to select/update/delete data. I am planning to distribute this app and wonder whether there are any tricks out there for encrypting/setting security so that even the SA account would be unable to read my stored procedures, but obviously be able to execute them?

There are two scenarios - one is where I want to let someone borrow a laptop just for a few days for a demo. Presumably I just give them an unprivileged user account without interactive logon possibilities, by which I mean Enterprise Manager and the other SQLserver Client tools [can I do this?] and control all access from the app.

The other scenario is when the app is purchased and I no longer have control of the SQL Server nor the SA account.

Any pointers would certainly be very useful indeed. Thanks.