Thread: sql 2000 srever stops responding

sql 2000 srever stops responding

Hello,
    I have 2 servers with the same software (win2k, sql 2000 sp3) and the same data on them. The older server is working fine, but the new one that I am trying to use will run fine for a various amount of time and then stop responding. I am confused because when it does this I can pull up the task manager and see that there is plenty of memory and cpu left, and there are no error messages up on the screen. The only way that I can get the server to respond again is to restart the system. The problem never happens at the same time of day and it doesn't matter how long it has been since the last reboot, could be 5 minutes, could be 5 hours. If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this, any replies are appreciated. The new system is a dell 2600, 2G Ram, Xeon processor, win2k.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Brian

If there is no error message in screen, check windows event log (application as well as system) and sql server error log for errors.

1. See event viewer for errors.
    (start-run-eventvwr )
    2. if you suspect if it is sql server then see sql server error log

It might be a hardware problem. We had similar situation and found that NIC card was the culprit. we changed it, and everything started working.