Thread: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

Maja Guest

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

Hi,

I issued the following set of statements against an Oracle 8.0.6 table linked to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 (SP2):

BEGIN TRANSACTION
    DELETE FROM ORACLE_DATABASE..SCHEMA1.TABLE1 WHERE COLUMN2=123.45
    ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

and received the following message:

Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' does not support distributed transactions.

I searched BOL and found this sentence:

To perform distributed transactions between SQL Server and Oracle, you must use Oracle version 8.0.4.1 or later.

What am I missing? Is there a higher version of Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle that supports distributed transactions (we are using the one that comes with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 installation)?

Maja

Srinivasan Guest

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (reply)

Hi Maja,

Just see under the 'Connections' of SQL Server Properties, you can see 'Remote Server Connections' there the check box for 'Enfore Distributed Transactions(MTS)' has been enabled or not.

Srinivasan.

------------
    Maja at 10/27/00 9:03:57 AM

Nope. The same message.

Maja
    ------------
    Martin at 10/26/00 11:26:15 AM

Hi,

I suggest you to try the Oracle Provider for OLE DB Because the Microsoft Provider for Oracle is not really good. You can found it at this address:

http://technet.oracle.com/software/tech/nt/ole_db/software_index.htm

You neeed to be registered on technet.oracle.com to download the file and the registration is free.

Martin

------------
    Maja at 10/26/00 9:21:30 AM

Hi,

I issued the following set of statements against an Oracle 8.0.6 table linked to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 (SP2):

BEGIN TRANSACTION
    ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' does not support distributed transactions.

To perform distributed transactions between SQL Server and Oracle, you must use Oracle version 8.0.4.1 or later.

What am I missing? Is there a higher version of Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle that supports distributed transactions (we are using the one that comes with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 installation)?

Maja

Maja Guest

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (reply)

Thank you for the idea, Srinivasan. Unfortunatelly, I'm still getting the same message.

Maja
    ------------
    Srinivasan at 10/27/00 6:11:31 PM

Hi Maja,

Just see under the 'Connections' of SQL Server Properties, you can see 'Remote Server Connections' there the check box for 'Enfore Distributed Transactions(MTS)' has been enabled or not.

Srinivasan.

------------
    Maja at 10/27/00 9:03:57 AM

Nope. The same message.

Maja
    ------------
    Martin at 10/26/00 11:26:15 AM

Hi,

I suggest you to try the Oracle Provider for OLE DB Because the Microsoft Provider for Oracle is not really good. You can found it at this address:

http://technet.oracle.com/software/tech/nt/ole_db/software_index.htm

You neeed to be registered on technet.oracle.com to download the file and the registration is free.

Martin

------------
    Maja at 10/26/00 9:21:30 AM

Hi,

BEGIN TRANSACTION
    ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

Maja