Thread: Migrating Passwords.

Post Migrating Passwords.

Hello every one,
    We are moving the database from one OS to another. As part of that we have done a test move and it is successful. We need to do our live in another 2 weeks. As of this time, we have moved all EXISTING user accounts as well as the main schema where all the production objects reside.

I want to know, if there is any way I can migrate the passwords for the existing user accounts. I dont want to move again all the user accounts. (These are the accounts with no objects in their schemas).
    However I will move the new user accounts created between now and the production move date.

My question is how do I move the passwords. I have access for the encoded passwords.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Migrating Passwords.

alter user has 'IDENTIFIED BY VALUES' clause. Using this clause, you can copy the usernames and password, without every knowing the passwords.

Originally posted by viswapsp
    Hello every one,
    We are moving the database from one OS to another. As part of that we have done a test move and it is successful. We need to do our live in another 2 weeks. As of this time, we have moved all EXISTING user accounts as well as the main schema where all the production objects reside.

I want to know, if there is any way I can migrate the passwords for the existing user accounts. I dont want to move again all the user accounts. (These are the accounts with no objects in their schemas).
    However I will move the new user accounts created between now and the production move date.

My question is how do I move the passwords. I have access for the encoded passwords.

Any help is highly appreciated.

The password value is stored in DBA_TABLES table.

You can use this query to generate the script

select 'create user ' || username || ' default tablespace ' || default_tablespace
    || ' temporary tablespace ' || temporary_tablespace || ' identified by values ' || '''' || Password || '''' ||' profile '||profile||';'
    from dba_users
    where username not in ('SYS','SYSTEM','DBSNMP','OUTLN')
    /

Thank you.
    I am looking for 'identified by values' clause. Thank you. I wonder why this option is not present in the flow diagram of alter user or create user.

Thank you.