Thread: Changing the sa password

LP Guest

Changing the sa password

I`m running SQL 6.5 with standard security. We`re running NT 4.0. I am a member of the NT Admin group - which, of course, has sa privileges in SQL Server. I changed the sa password (via Enterpise Manager on my client machine); and it worked. I tested the password change by connecting to ISQL/w - both on my client machine and at the server machine.

However, when I attempted to connect to the server via Enterprise Manager (SEM) - on my client machine - my login attempt failed. But at the server machine, I connected just fine.

Somehow, even though we`re using standard security, I`m getting locked out of SEM because of the new password. Changing the sa password back to what it had been resolved the problem; but the old password was only meant to be temporary.

Any suggestions or explanations?

Don Romano Guest

Changing the sa password (reply)

Try unregistering the server in EM on your client and then re-registering it after the password change.

Not sure why but some information might get stored on the client after registering and certain things don`t get refreshed when changed.

Don Romano Guest

Or...

Right click on the server in EM and edit the password for the sa user under `Register Server`.

Try the unregister/reregister step if *this* does not work. :-)

LP Guest

Don,

Thanks a lot! Altering the password via the Register Server window worked like a charm.