Thread: STD mem beyound 2gb?!

STD mem beyound 2gb?!

It looks the SQL2K STD version memory could be used up to 2 GB. After our new STD SQL2k SP3 add one more GB mem, the server property memory tag show 3071MB.

We have a "Double Take" software running on the same machine. In this case, does it mean I could maximize the 2GB to SQL, or even 2.5 GB to it, while let operting sys use the remaining 0.5 GB?

Guess the fixed method of 2 or 2.5 is better than dynamic approach?
    thanks
    David

If it is a dedicated for sql server, I would leave it to dynamic with min of 1GB.

If other app also uses it, then put a maxmum of 2 GB and leave it dynamic.

so rest of the mem will be used by other apps and os.

It looks my prediction of SQL STD beyound 2GB was faded guickly.

Though the STD sql displays it reconganize the 3GB memory, the error log showed "configuration option 'min server memory (MB)" changed from 1211 to 2022. Unable to allocate 'min server memory' of 2022MB.

Thus, I just reset the minimum to 1 GB.
    The error.log: "run the reconfigure statement to install". Does it mean the change through the E.M. will not be taken until restart the sql? Or I could do it via TSQL and still need restart since anything related to reconfigure will requre restart?

thanks
    David

From BOL

min server memory and max server memory are advanced options. If you are using the sp_configure system stored procedure to change these settings, you can change them only when show advanced options is set to 1. These settings take effect immediately (without a server stop and restart).

Refer this link.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...sKChooseEd.asp