Thread: Access 2k2: front end/back end

Access 2k2: front end/back end

ok, I think this is a good idea, but knowing my track record it prolly isnt. I have recently split my database into a front end and a back end. While the whole thing is still kinda broken,
    *shakes his fist at the Access god that hates him so much*
    I am thinking a little ahead to security. I am going to put the back end in a folder all on its lonesome, and lock it down some how so no one can open it with out permission.

Now, putting permissions on the folder would be worthless as then noone could use it.

So, that brings me to my question; If I were to put a p-word on the back end database, how do I set it up so that the front end will always have access to it? I figured this was the best way to keep people out of my back end, but am prolly wrong, so to recap:

a. Is this a good idea?
    b. If not, what would be a better one?
    c. If so, how would I go about it?
    d. Are people getting tierd of seeing posts from me?

thanks for any words of advice

Brandon

1. Hardcode userid and password in the frontend to access the back end

2. copy a small encrypted ini file on all the client machine (which reads that file everytime when you open the switchboard) which stores the userid and password (RC4 encryption or similar)

3. store userid and password in the registry (ofcourse encrypted) and read it from the access.