Thread: Problems creating my first Database... Please assist!

Cory Burke Guest

Problems creating my first Database... Please assist!

Hello... I'm a newbie to creating Databases on SQL. I can query data pretty well, create new stored procedures, etc. - I have just never started from scratch and so that is what I am trying to do. Any assistance that could be forwarded my way would be most appreciated.

After installing SQL 6.5 on my machine I then try to go in and register a server. After many attempts I continue to receive the following error (in Enterprise Manager):

Unable to Connect to Server (reason: [DB-Library] Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Specified SQL server not found). Register anyway?

Where should I go from here? The book I am using (Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 DBA Survival Guide) does not offer an alternative solution if the "Registering a Server" procedure fails. All I'm trying to do is create a database from scratch so I can "play" with it and increase my SQL knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cory

Bob Lane Guest

Problems creating my first Database... Please assist! (reply)

Cory, Sounds like SQL Server may not be started. Go to Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 and select Service Manager. Select SQL Server from the drop down box and double click on Start/Continue.

-Bob-

------------
    Cory Burke at 9/22/99 11:43:25 AM

Hello... I'm a newbie to creating Databases on SQL. I can query data pretty well, create new stored procedures, etc. - I have just never started from scratch and so that is what I am trying to do. Any assistance that could be forwarded my way would be most appreciated.

After installing SQL 6.5 on my machine I then try to go in and register a server. After many attempts I continue to receive the following error (in Enterprise Manager):

Unable to Connect to Server (reason: [DB-Library] Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Specified SQL server not found). Register anyway?

Where should I go from here? The book I am using (Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 DBA Survival Guide) does not offer an alternative solution if the "Registering a Server" procedure fails. All I'm trying to do is create a database from scratch so I can "play" with it and increase my SQL knowledge.

Cory

Cory Burke Guest

Hey Bob - I did that yesterday also and still no joy. Even when running I can register a new server - same error message. Also when using SQL Service Manager it asks you for a Server and Services. I leave Services on MSSQLServer but what do I type in the Server text box? I have been putting the name of the new server that I am trying to register but that never works either.

Any thoughts?

Cory

------------
    Bob Lane at 9/22/99 12:22:06 PM

Cory, Sounds like SQL Server may not be started. Go to Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 and select Service Manager. Select SQL Server from the drop down box and double click on Start/Continue.

-Bob-

------------

Cory

MAK/Ananthakumar Muthusamy Guest

Hi Burke.

1. Go to Client configuration utility.
    type the Server name eg: Testserver
    Selection connection type DLL name- usually TCP/IP.
    TYpe the Ip address like- 172.20.180.33,1433

1433 is the port address.

2. Go to Settings- Control panel - Services -
    Select SQL server - click start or make it as
    automatic
    or
    u can user server manager to start sql server.

3. go to enterprise manager. it will prompt u for
    registration. click the button "servers" select the
    server name. type the login name as sa. usually there
    wont be any password initially.

TRY THIS.

GOOD LUCK.

[ THE BOOK I SUGGEST FOR TO BECOME A DBA IN 6.5 IS SAM'S
    SQL SERVER SURVIAL GUIDE 6.5]

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS???

MAK

------------
    Cory Burke at 9/22/99 2:38:54 PM

Hey Bob - I did that yesterday also and still no joy. Even when running I can register a new server - same error message. Also when using SQL Service Manager it asks you for a Server and Services. I leave Services on MSSQLServer but what do I type in the Server text box? I have been putting the name of the new server that I am trying to register but that never works either.

Any thoughts?

Cory

------------
    Bob Lane at 9/22/99 12:22:06 PM

-Bob-

------------

Cory