Thread: Solution for the fast retrieval of data

Arrow Solution for the fast retrieval of data

Hello der,

I have a problem and i guess that i've entered the right place for a solution.

Scenario:

I'm implementing an application with an access database, but i didn't use any database server coz my application is only designed for not more than 2 or 4 users.

So instead of using SQL server, I deployed my database into a file server and it is been shared among the users.
    In short, it is a simple file sharing over a network.

My problem is,that this kind of architecture causes a heavy network traffic when I'm generating a report or requesting a large amount of data from the file server.

I'm thinking of a data replication solution but this requires a risky modification to my program.

Can you please help me in finding solutions to my problem?

Thanks

File Server DBs and Networks

Wouldn't we all love an easy solution to this one!

I suppose you need to make sure that your database is not trying to fetch 100000 records from an unidexed table everytime a user hits it.

So try to restrict your users to bringing back as few a records and fields as needed to work on at any one time.

Make sure you've set up your indexes properly too. Hopefully JET will do a bookmark lookup on the index and bring back only the index (not the whole row) if you've covered the index in query (ie all the fields you need are in an index).

The proper creation of indexes will, as in SQL Server, speed up your SELECTs but slow down your INSERTS, DELETES and UPDATES (if you are updating an indexed field).

If your really concerned don't use JET, but hey 2 - 4 users won't bring your network to it's knees if you follow the above.

HTH,

Peter