Thread: Reading file properties from Access

Question Reading file properties from Access

I am trying to figure out how to read the properties of any file from within Access. I can supply a full file spec and want to specifically read the DateLastModified (that you see when you view the properties of a file) for the file in question. I've looked at the filesearch object but can't get that to work. I figure I'll need to use API calls to do this but don't know which call to use or how to implement it. This is for an Access DB that catalogs various files in our company, I'm trying to write a routine that will allow a mass update of the cataloged files as to when they were last accessed with the single click of a button. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Re: Reading file properties from Access

Originally posted by Rich Zore I am trying to figure out how to read the properties of any file from within Access. ... I figure I'll need to use API calls to do this but don't know which call to use or how to implement it.
    You could use the WinAPI but it tain't necessary. Add a reference to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime to your project, then you can use a modification of this sub:
    Code:

Sub dlm ( )
        Dim f As File
        Dim fso As New FileSystemObject
        Set f = fso.GetFile("C:\temp\<FileName>")
        MsgBox CStr(f.DateLastModified)
    End Sub

Obviously, this is a real basic illustration of the FSO. There are many features available to you when you add the scripting runtime, and access to files and directories is simply one.

Cheers,
    Gary

You can also use the FileDateTime Function

Dim dtModified
    dtModified = FileDateTime("C:\temp\<FileName>")

Cheers
    Barrie

Smile Solution

Thanks guys, two good replies. One for VB and the other in Access. Worked like a charm and I'm grateful.

Have a great day.

Rich