Thread: Filter form and hyperlink error

Dennis Earl Guest

Filter form and hyperlink error

I have two problems, both of which can be seen at www.propertysurfers.com.
    The first is on entering the search properties page, if you select either area or bedrooms then it works just fine, but if
    you use the type of property drop down field then you get an error message. As far as I can ell the three
    parameters (area, type and bedrooms) are all similar in the coding yet it just doesn't seem to want to know.

The second problem is if you use either area or bedrooms and do the search and then try to use the
    hyperlink for more information, instead of just being "coulsdon.htm" (I have tried relative and absolute
    links) it looks for "coulsdon.htmerror"! Any ideas why it is inserting the word "error" as part of the address?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Dennis

Mark Guest

Filter form and hyperlink error (reply)

Dennis,

The only thing I can think of is that the parenthesis in House (semi) are confusing ASP-db. Can you try it with something with NO parenthesis just to see what happens? Also, this may be a problem that was fixed a long time ago. I notice you are running version 1.09.10 (September 98).
    See: http://www.aspdb.com/whatsnew.asp Revision 10-29-98.
    It says that problem was fixed.

Mark.

------------
    Dennis Earl at 2/8/00 3:17:33 PM

The first is on entering the search properties page, if you select either area or bedrooms then it works just fine, but if
    you use the type of property drop down field then you get an error message. As far as I can ell the three
    parameters (area, type and bedrooms) are all similar in the coding yet it just doesn't seem to want to know.

The second problem is if you use either area or bedrooms and do the search and then try to use the
    hyperlink for more information, instead of just being "coulsdon.htm" (I have tried relative and absolute
    links) it looks for "coulsdon.htmerror"! Any ideas why it is inserting the word "error" as part of the address?

Dennis

Mark Guest

Dennis,
    As far as the hyperlink "error" is concerned, I'd need to see your source code. It sounds like a typo to me. What does your MagicCell statement look like? Are all the field names spelled correctly? Are you using field names or field numbers?
    Mark.

------------
    Mark at 2/8/00 3:40:53 PM

Dennis,

The only thing I can think of is that the parenthesis in House (semi) are confusing ASP-db. Can you try it with something with NO parenthesis just to see what happens? Also, this may be a problem that was fixed a long time ago. I notice you are running version 1.09.10 (September 98).

Mark.

------------

Dennis

Dennis Earl Guest

Mark,

Thanks for your help - removing the "(semi)" part worked a treat.

The second problem is still there, and here is my source code:

<%
    Set MyDb = Server.CreateObject(&#34;AspDB.Pro&#34
    Mydb.dbmdb=Server.MapPath(&#34;house.mdb&#34
    MyDb.dbStartUp=&#34;filter&#34;
    MyDb.DBColor = &#34;4,auto&#34;
    MyDb.dbGridtabletag = &#34;border=3 cellspacing=3 cellpadding=3&#34;

&#39; Note: dbFilterFlds must use the RENAMED field name (not the ORIGINAL field name)!
    FILTERHEAD = &#34;heading=<B>Please use the drop down fields to select your property then click Apply Filter</B><BR>&#34;
    MyDb.dbFilterFlds=&#34;Area,Property Type,Bedrooms,&#34; & FILTERHEAD & &#34;,Style=Simple&#34;

MyDb.DbGridInc=&#34;10&#34;
    Mydb.dbFormMemo=&#34;10x30,short description&#34;
    Mydb.dbFilterDropFlds=&#34;Area,,Details,Area; Bedrooms,,Details,Bedrooms; Property Type,,Details,Property Type&#34;

MyDb.dbMagicCell = &#34;(;~[]^)Price~align=right~format=[###,###]&#34;
    MyDb.dbNavigation=&#34;Top&#34; &#39; Display it at the top only
    MyDb.dbNavigationItem = &#34;Filter&#34;
    MyDb.dbStatusBar = False
    Mydb.dbFilterParams = &#34;DropButtonText=none&#34;
    MyDb.dbMode = &#34;dual&#34; &#39;Let&#39;s view it as a grid

Mydb.dbGridHideFlds=&#34;short description,Interested,url,referenceID&#34;
    Mydb.dbFormHideFlds=&#34;short description,url&#34;

MyDb.dbMagicCell = &#34;Interested,,<A HREF=#URL#>#Interested#</A>&#34;
    MyDb.dbSQL = &#34;Select * FROM details&#34;

MyDb.aspDBPro

%>

as you can see, it&#39;s not pretty as most of it is made up from examples on the aspdb web site. An interesting point
    is that when I was playing around with the site using the PWS at home, the hyperlink functioned sort of - it
    directed you to the page but always to the bottom so you had to scroll to the top.

Thanks again

Dennis

------------
    Mark at 2/8/00 3:45:35 PM

Dennis,
    As far as the hyperlink &#34;error&#34; is concerned, I&#39;d need to see your source code. It sounds like a typo to me. What does your MagicCell statement look like? Are all the field names spelled correctly? Are you using field names or field numbers?
    Mark.

------------

Dennis,

Mark.

------------

parameters (area, type and bedrooms) are all similar in the coding yet it just doesn&#39;t seem to want to know.

hyperlink for more information, instead of just being &#34;coulsdon.htm&#34; (I have tried relative and absolute
    links) it looks for &#34;coulsdon.htmerror&#34;! Any ideas why it is inserting the word &#34;error&#34; as part of the address?

Dennis

Mark Guest

Dennis,

Why do have TWO MagicCell statements? Only the last one will be used.
    Do you really have a field in your database called &#34;URL&#34;. If not, that would explain your problem. You said:

dbMagicCell = &#34;Interested,,<A HREF=#URL#>#Interested#</A>&#34;

The actual field name must go between the #&#39;s, not the letters &#34;URL&#34;.
    Where is it you really want to take the user? What is the address to go to?

Please order the $95 update for ASP-db Pro.

Mark.

------------
    Dennis Earl at 2/8/00 4:52:37 PM

Mark,

Thanks for your help - removing the &#34;(semi)&#34; part worked a treat.

<%

&#39; Note: dbFilterFlds must use the RENAMED field name (not the ORIGINAL field name)!
    FILTERHEAD = &#34;heading=<B>Please use the drop down fields to select your property then click Apply Filter</B><BR>&#34;
    MyDb.dbFilterFlds=&#34;Area,Property Type,Bedrooms,&#34; & FILTERHEAD & &#34;,Style=Simple&#34;

Mydb.dbFilterDropFlds=&#34;Area,,Details,Area; Bedrooms,,Details,Bedrooms; Property Type,,Details,Property Type&#34;

MyDb.dbStatusBar = False

MyDb.aspDBPro

%>

as you can see, it&#39;s not pretty as most of it is made up from examples on the aspdb web site. An interesting point
    is that when I was playing around with the site using the PWS at home, the hyperlink functioned sort of - it
    directed you to the page but always to the bottom so you had to scroll to the top.

Thanks again

Dennis

------------

Dennis,
    As far as the hyperlink &#34;error&#34; is concerned, I&#39;d need to see your source code. It sounds like a typo to me. What does your MagicCell statement look like? Are all the field names spelled correctly? Are you using field names or field numbers?
    Mark.

------------

Dennis,

Mark.

------------

parameters (area, type and bedrooms) are all similar in the coding yet it just doesn&#39;t seem to want to know.

hyperlink for more information, instead of just being &#34;coulsdon.htm&#34; (I have tried relative and absolute
    links) it looks for &#34;coulsdon.htmerror&#34;! Any ideas why it is inserting the word &#34;error&#34; as part of the address?

Dennis

Dennis Guest

Mark

The reason for having the two magic cell statements was to try to format the currency cell - no matter - I have taken it
    out to leave only one. The problem remains.
    My database structure has a column called &#34;Interested&#34; which just contains the text &#34;Click here&#34; and a second
    column called &#34;URL&#34; which has the hyperlink information, in this case &#34;coulsdon.htm&#34;. As I said it worked
    (near) perfectly using PWS, but now insists on putting coulsdon.htmerror as the address to go to.

Dennis

------------
    Mark at 2/8/00 5:08:15 PM

Dennis,

Why do have TWO MagicCell statements? Only the last one will be used.
    Do you really have a field in your database called &#34;URL&#34;. If not, that would explain your problem. You said:

dbMagicCell = &#34;Interested,,<A HREF=#URL#>#Interested#</A>&#34;

The actual field name must go between the #&#39;s, not the letters &#34;URL&#34;.
    Where is it you really want to take the user? What is the address to go to?

Please order the $95 update for ASP-db Pro.

Mark.

------------
    Dennis Earl at 2/8/00 4:52:37 PM

Mark,

Thanks for your help - removing the &#34;(semi)&#34; part worked a treat.

<%

MyDb.dbStatusBar = False

MyDb.aspDBPro

%>

Thanks again

Dennis

------------

Dennis,
    Mark.

------------

Dennis,

Mark.

------------

Dennis