Thread: restore sql 6.5 db to another server

darlene Guest

restore sql 6.5 db to another server

I have set up a new test server for my sql 6.5 dbs. I have backups from the old server stored on a different remote backup server using a backup device. When I try to restore a fiel from backup device from the remote backup server to the new test server, I cannot see any files in the device. I know they do exist because I can restore to the old server just fine. I created the db devices and db's on the new test server the same size as the old server. What am I missing? BOL for 6.5 is not as user friendly as BOL for 7.0 where all of my experience is. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray Miao Guest

restore sql 6.5 db to another server (reply)

Ensure you use domain account for sql service. You can use 'disk = ' in load statement to point to file directly.

------------
    darlene at 9/7/00 4:16:14 PM

I have set up a new test server for my sql 6.5 dbs. I have backups from the old server stored on a different remote backup server using a backup device. When I try to restore a fiel from backup device from the remote backup server to the new test server, I cannot see any files in the device. I know they do exist because I can restore to the old server just fine. I created the db devices and db's on the new test server the same size as the old server. What am I missing? BOL for 6.5 is not as user friendly as BOL for 7.0 where all of my experience is. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Blase Guest

In 6.5 you can't restore databases from network drives, copy the dumps to the new server's local drives then try restoring it through EM.

------------
    darlene at 9/8/00 10:23:05 AM

SQL Server and SQL Exec are using the same domain account which is also a member of the Local Admin group. However, I am using EM to do the restore. When I select restore, from device, then add file and I add the location of the device to the remote server, I do not get a list of the files from the device in the history listing. The RESTORE NOW button is grayed and I'm logged in as sa. Can I restore a database from a device used by another server? HELP!

------------
    Ray Miao at 9/7/00 4:54:15 PM

Ensure you use domain account for sql service. You can use 'disk = ' in load statement to point to file directly.

------------

Craig Guest

We restore databases in 6.5 from networked drives every day. Don't know what Blase is talking about.

If you can open the device on the server you are trying to restore to and see the dump, you can restore it. If you can't see it, you do not have permissions or are not pointing to the correct location. Are you using UNC names or mapped drives?

------------
    Blase at 9/27/00 7:36:22 AM

In 6.5 you can't restore databases from network drives, copy the dumps to the new server's local drives then try restoring it through EM.

------------

SQL Server and SQL Exec are using the same domain account which is also a member of the Local Admin group. However, I am using EM to do the restore. When I select restore, from device, then add file and I add the location of the device to the remote server, I do not get a list of the files from the device in the history listing. The RESTORE NOW button is grayed and I'm logged in as sa. Can I restore a database from a device used by another server? HELP!

------------

------------

blase Guest

By network drives I meant mapped drives!

------------
    Craig at 9/27/00 7:41:17 AM

We restore databases in 6.5 from networked drives every day. Don't know what Blase is talking about.

If you can open the device on the server you are trying to restore to and see the dump, you can restore it. If you can't see it, you do not have permissions or are not pointing to the correct location. Are you using UNC names or mapped drives?

------------

------------

------------

------------

blase Guest

I retract my comments. I agree with craig.

------------

darlene Guest

I'm using unc, but I finally got it to work. I reinstalled sql with sp5 and the performed the restore using the unc from the remote server and walla... it worked like a charm. Thanks for all your help.

------------
    blase at 9/27/00 7:48:23 AM

By network drives I meant mapped drives!

------------
    Craig at 9/27/00 7:41:17 AM

------------

------------

------------

------------