Thread: Empty Fields: how to not display them please?

Geoff Guest

Empty Fields: how to not display them please?

I can see how to choose which fields should be displayed or not when in grid or form modes but what I cannot figure out is how to hide those fields that are empty.

Is this possible in ASPDB or not?

Many thanks.

Frank Guest

Empty Fields: how to not display them please? (reply)

Geoff,
    What do you mean by "not displaying empty fields". You mean the "entire column" is blank/Null/Empty ? Or just in Form mode. What is the application. Give some reasoning of this special display.

Frank

On 12/31/98 11:18:23 AM, Geoff wrote:
    >
    I can see how to choose which fields should be displayed or not when in
    > grid or form modes but what I cannot figure out is how to hide those fields
    > that are empty.

Is this possible in ASPDB or not?

Many thanks.

Geoff Guest

On 12/31/98 11:34:15 AM, Frank wrote:
    > Geoff,
    What do you mean by "not displaying empty fields". You mean
    > the "entire column" is blank/Null/Empty ? Or just in Form mode.

I am using APSDB as a search front end to a database. Within a record not all the fields may contain data, there are 22 fields in each record.

When a record is displayed in form mode I only want to display the contents of those fields that contain data. Otherwise I end up with a lot of wasted space on the page and the user has to page up and down to see the record.

If using 'pure' ASP I would loop through the fields for the current record and only display Field_Name: Contents_Of_Field if Contents_Of_Field was not null. This looks a lot better and is more user friendly.

There are many times when fields will not contain data so this is a real problem for me.

> What is the application. Give some reasoning of this special
    > display.

Frank

Jason Guest

Frank, please address.

Is it possible to get ASPdb to hide empty fields in the form mode? If so, please explain how.

Thank you.

------------
    Geoff at 12/31/98 11:51:09 AM

On 12/31/98 11:34:15 AM, Frank wrote:
    > Geoff,
    What do you mean by "not displaying empty fields". You mean
    > the "entire column" is blank/Null/Empty ? Or just in Form mode.

I am using APSDB as a search front end to a database. Within a record not all the fields may contain data, there are 22 fields in each record.

When a record is displayed in form mode I only want to display the contents of those fields that contain data. Otherwise I end up with a lot of wasted space on the page and the user has to page up and down to see the record.

If using 'pure' ASP I would loop through the fields for the current record and only display Field_Name: Contents_Of_Field if Contents_Of_Field was not null. This looks a lot better and is more user friendly.

There are many times when fields will not contain data so this is a real problem for me.

> What is the application. Give some reasoning of this special
    > display.

Frank