Thread: Download displays in browser

Steven Overson Guest

Download displays in browser

If I use a .txt extension for the dbCSVName variable (e.g., "MyDownload.txt&#34, IE 5.0 displays the contents of the file in the browser instead of downloading it. This does not appear to be a problem in IE 5.5 or NS 4.5. Nor does it appear to be a problem if I use a .csv extension.

Is there a way to make the .txt download work in IE 5.0, or am I going to have to use .csv as the extension?

I am using ASPdb Pro from 2/9/2001.

Thanks,
    Steven

John Guest

Download displays in browser (reply)

Hi Steven,

You don't say which version of IIS you're using. You might be able to go into the Documents or Mime settings and create/modify the setting for .txt on your server. If that doesn't work, you're stuck with using .CSV.

.CSV is really the safest way to go though. Excel will open it up automatically and knows how to decode it.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    Steven Overson at 5/7/01 1:58:27 PM

If I use a .txt extension for the dbCSVName variable (e.g., "MyDownload.txt&#34, IE 5.0 displays the contents of the file in the browser instead of downloading it. This does not appear to be a problem in IE 5.5 or NS 4.5. Nor does it appear to be a problem if I use a .csv extension.

Is there a way to make the .txt download work in IE 5.0, or am I going to have to use .csv as the extension?

I am using ASPdb Pro from 2/9/2001.

Thanks,
    Steven