Thread: Transferring AS400 DB to SQL Server 7.0

John Vogel Guest

Transferring AS400 DB to SQL Server 7.0

I have been asked to make it possible for our SQL 7 server to pull infromation from AS/400 and utilize it in web applications, and such. Is there any way of doing this? I have heard that you can export the data on the as400 to a DB2 file, and import it with SQL. Is this the only way of access info off of the 400?

John Perry Guest

Transferring AS400 DB to SQL Server 7.0 (reply)

I'm using ODBC from IBM's "Client Access" and running a scheduled DTS package to pull the file down off the 400. I'm really not well versed on the 400 but I did manage to use the query tool to output query results to file. IBM has released a new version called "Client Access Express" that I haven't looked at yet.
    hth,
    -- John.

------------
    John Vogel at 8/27/99 11:55:26 AM

I have been asked to make it possible for our SQL 7 server to pull infromation from AS/400 and utilize it in web applications, and such. Is there any way of doing this? I have heard that you can export the data on the as400 to a DB2 file, and import it with SQL. Is this the only way of access info off of the 400?

Trevor Dwyer Guest

Transferring AS400 DB to SQL Server 7.0 (reply)

Hi John,

It can be done very easily. Its great being able to issue a simple SELECT
    statement against an AS/400 and see it return results.
    My personal choice would be to use the OLE DB drivers provided by HIT
    software (www.hit.com) which allow a native TCP/IP connection direct to the
    server. There is a version of these drivers that includes SSL support

I am talking about this subject at the upcoming SQL Server conference in
    September. You can find information about this at the Compass99 website
    (www.sqlpass.org).

Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer - SQL Server MVP
    tdwyer@email.msn.com

------------
    John Vogel at 8/27/99 11:55:26 AM