Thread: Naming temporary tables with variables

Jon Guest

Naming temporary tables with variables

Is there a way to put a variable name into the name of a temporary table. For example, I would like to create a table called 'test@passedvariable', or test2 assuming that @passedvariable is 2. How would I go about doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon

Fred Guest

Naming temporary tables with variables (reply)

------------
    Jon at 5/3/00 12:04:52 PM

Is there a way to put a variable name into the name of a temporary table. For example, I would like to create a table called 'test@passedvariable', or test2 assuming that @passedvariable is 2. How would I go about doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon

Fred Guest

Declare @mystring varchar(255)
    set @mystring="create table test"+@passedvariable+" .....the rest of the table definition"
    exec(@mystring)

fred
    ------------

Thanks,
    Jon

Jon Guest

What if I wanted to do an insert into this table. For example:
    INSERT INTO ##Test@passedvariable (##test2)
    SELECT *
    FROM test

Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Jon

------------
    Fred at 5/3/00 12:12:56 PM

Declare @mystring varchar(255)
    set @mystring="create table test"+@passedvariable+" .....the rest of the table definition"
    exec(@mystring)

fred
    ------------

Thanks,
    Jon