Thread: 'Invalid Object' when select from table I own.

Jen Letch Guest

'Invalid Object' when select from table I own.

I have a database owned by the sa. In the database are some tables owned by id1. When I login via SQL Analyzer as id1 and try to select from
    the tables owned by id1, I get an error message 208 that the object does not exist. If I query 'select * from id1.table', I get my data. I thought that
    if I owned the table I could always access it. Additional facts, id1 is defined as a login, id1 is defined as a user for the database with db_owner role.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jen

Pete Guest

'Invalid Object' when select from table I own. (reply)

Jen

The tables may be owned by id1 but did id1 create them, if it did not then maybe has the dbo.table name extension this could be all the problem is, maybe? look in the tables & indexes section of the Enterprise Manager to get what the extension is.

------------
    Jen Letch at 11/9/00 11:48:29 PM

I have a database owned by the sa. In the database are some tables owned by id1. When I login via SQL Analyzer as id1 and try to select from
    the tables owned by id1, I get an error message 208 that the object does not exist. If I query 'select * from id1.table', I get my data. I thought that
    if I owned the table I could always access it. Additional facts, id1 is defined as a login, id1 is defined as a user for the database with db_owner role.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jen

Ray Miao Guest

'Invalid Object' when select from table I own. (reply)

The correct syntax is 'select ... from db.owner.table'. If select from current db, you can omit db. If owner is dbo, you can omit owner.

------------
    Jen Letch at 11/9/00 11:48:29 PM

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jen