Thread: Standby Server - Applying Transaction Logs Automatically

Helen Guest

Standby Server - Applying Transaction Logs Automatically

Can anyone direct me to a code that would automatically apply transaction logs to a DB in the standby server? We have a process that dumps the transaction log backup from the primary server into the backup server every hour on the hour, but I need to apply that transaction log as soon as it is in the standby server.

I am sure someone will ask, why not do transactional replication or log shipping? My answer to that is I have yet to learn how to setup replication between servers. I need to get our backup server up and running in the next few days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Helen

phil mc Guest

Standby Server - Applying Transaction Logs Automatically (reply)

2 ways.

First and I think easiest
    You would be better controlling this using a DTS Package to copy the backup file to the backup server. Upon sucessfuly copy, then run a SQL Task on the backup server to restore the log with no recovery.

Second
    Use Multi-Serevr Administration.
    Set up backup server as a Target and live server as a master server. Once your copy job has worked, invoke a Restore log with no recovery Job on the Target server.

Hope this helps.

------------
    Helen at 6/21/01 6:11:52 PM

Can anyone direct me to a code that would automatically apply transaction logs to a DB in the standby server? We have a process that dumps the transaction log backup from the primary server into the backup server every hour on the hour, but I need to apply that transaction log as soon as it is in the standby server.

I am sure someone will ask, why not do transactional replication or log shipping? My answer to that is I have yet to learn how to setup replication between servers. I need to get our backup server up and running in the next few days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Helen