Thread: automatic "master" SQL script Generation - SQL Virgin in need of help !

Dave Ainge Guest

automatic "master" SQL script Generation - SQL Virgin in need of help !

All,
    I have been tasked to create a DR plan for the recovery of our SQL servers. Having never used SQL I stuck to our tried and tested method of restoring the db's using our backup software (Computer associates ArcserveIT)

However I cannot restore the "master" Db from it.

As a way around I have used the "Generate SQLScripts" to allow me to recreate the master DB.

Can I create a job that I can schedule that will generate these scripts on a daily basis, so that in the event of a complete rebuild I can restore user db's from tape and run this script to recreate the master DB.

advanced apologies if I am missing an obvious solution
    Cheers
    Dave

Ray Miao Guest

automatic "master" SQL script Generation - SQL Virgin in need of help ! (reply)

Can't do that. By the way, should be able to restore master db with sql statement if necessary.

------------
    Dave Ainge at 5/13/2002 8:03:09 AM

All,
    I have been tasked to create a DR plan for the recovery of our SQL servers. Having never used SQL I stuck to our tried and tested method of restoring the db's using our backup software (Computer associates ArcserveIT)

As a way around I have used the "Generate SQLScripts" to allow me to recreate the master DB.

Can I create a job that I can schedule that will generate these scripts on a daily basis, so that in the event of a complete rebuild I can restore user db's from tape and run this script to recreate the master DB.

Cheers
    Dave

------------
    Ray Miao at 5/13/2002 9:21:24 AM

Can't do that. By the way, should be able to restore master db with sql statement if necessary.

------------

All,

Cheers
    Dave

JIM Guest

if you use SQl restores as well as ARCserve transfers then you can use the master that is produced by installation on the REcovery machine. Then You deal with user transfer knowledge base article q246133How to transfer logins and password between SQLServers.

------------

All,

Cheers
    Dave