Thread: porting mysql database to oracle database........

porting mysql database to oracle database........

hello techies,
    I am makin a local database in mysql and I have to port it to oracle database through internet or whteva? that oracle database is the main database and its olready there but at different location..so wht my task is ?? i have to create a local database using mysql and port it to the main database which is in oracle and located at different location.
    The main problem is the place hwere i have to make this local database using mysql doesnot have good internet connectivity, so I want to store the data in mysql than port it to oracle.
    looking forward for ur reply
    rahul

Oracle Migration Workbench is an Option ...

One option might be to use the Oracle Migration Workbench, which supports MySQL. The Oracle Migration Workbench migrates the entire database. You probably have this somewhere among your Oracle software / archives, but if not, you can download it free (with several pieces of documentation) from Oracle at:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec...nch/index.html

I’ve used this for migrating Sybase and DB2 databases to the Oracle platform (Oracle9i and Oracle10g), in the not-too-distant past, but the documentation indicates that you can use it to migrate MySQL and perhaps others.

Let us know if this works for you!

Bill

porting mysql to oracle database...

hello bill,
    m glad that u replied.........actually I ahve been to so many forums and people rarely reply there.
    My problem is.....I dont have to migrate from oracle to Mysql.....or Mysql to oracle.......I have to make this new local database in mysql and than port it to the previously existing database which is in Oracle.
    This database which is in Oracle is present at different location. The Mysql database is there in some rural place whre internet connectivity is low........i.e why I need this local database in mysql because computers at this rural place ain't good enough to handle oracle...so the system users at this rural place can enter data in mysql database and whenever internet connectivity is there that data should be automatically be transferred to the oracle database.
    Here the main issue is about the porting........how the porting of these two databases can be done whenever there is good internet connectivity.
    regards
    lokesh

Huhhh?

Are you asking for a way to automate the "porting" process, based upon acceptable connectivity - like "it turns on when we have a connection?"

Sorry - This one kinda baffles me ...

Bill

porting mysql database to oracle......

yes that is what I want...........I want the poerting to be done automatically whenever connection is there.

Needs an app to determine connection, and then execute the port ...

You'd need an app / mechanism to determine a state of connection, and then execute the port ... moreover, to provide any sort of assurance of population accuracy and completeness, you'd need to know exactly what "makes it across" before a connection break - which from your description could happen at any time during data transfer.

It might be better to do this sort of thing with a dump from the source to, say, a file ( deally compressed, for speed) that you could move over and then import locally to the Oracle environment - doing the import from the same environment would relieve, at least, the rather complex issue of mid-transfer connection breakage you'll need to build into your design otherwise.

Does that seem reasonable?

Bill