Thread: porting MS ACCESS application to MAC OSX

porting MS ACCESS application to MAC OSX

Does anyone have any suggestions about porting a fairly complex MS ACCESS application (numerous forms, reports, queries, tables and macros) to the MAC?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    1. Convert as much as possible to VB (there are tools that will do this - microtools access whiz for example) Then convert to REALBASIC. What would my options of doing reports be on the MAC with REALBASIC? The conversion to VB would normally use Crystal Reports for reports. But that isn't available on the MAC. I would also convert the MS ACCESS tables to MYSQL (which is easily done - I've already done it actually.)
    My other options are:
    2. Convert to JAVA.
    3. Convert to VB.NET and then run under a mac .NET engine.
    In all of the above, I'm dealing with issues with reports and various conversion issues.
    4. Convert tables to FileMaker Pro 8 and create the application from scratch, using the original as a model.

Does anyone know of any other options?
    thanks

another possible option

I've also been looking at this problem. What I found was an app that claims to take an access program and convert it to java. Not sure if or how well it works. You basically pay to convert a SINGLE access app. A bit pricey and I'm not sure how maintainable it is. There are also a number of cheaper alternatives that lay claim to the same thing, but again how maintainable they are is up for debate.

My backend is MySQL and I want to keep that but my investigation of FM reveals that is a lot of work to get it to play well with MySQL. Questions to FM didn't lead me to believe any different. They prefer that you use their backend.

I've also investigated a proggy called SQL screens but it looks like it needs some bit that is windows only. I haven't gotten far enough along to see if there is a workaround.

As far as reports, well yes you might have an issue there. A quick search brought these up that may work for you. Heck they may work for me ;-)
    http://www.openrpt.com/
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/11062

Let me know if you find out any different.