Thread: Reports with dynamic MDX queries

Threaded View

Question Reports with dynamic MDX queries

Hi all, today I have been asked from a client if it is possible to create a Pivot like report using Reporting Services. I answered that it is not possible to have such a report. But the client would like to know if it possible to simulate that functionality this way: to put in the aspx page where there is the report say some drop down lists and other controls the user could use to choose what dimensions / members of them to have in the report and where to put them ( eg rows or columns ) .

I think this necessarily involves to have separate and different queries ( different in their structure and not just in some parameters ) to pass to the report at run time *each time the user does a choice*

For what I know it is not possible to do that, that is to have a report to receive such an unknowed 'at design time' query.

I kindly ask you this:

1. I am right in saying that to simulate a pivot I need to pass each time a new query ? I understood that well?

2. and ( if yes #1) I am right in saying that RS does not support these 'dynamic' queries to be passed at run time ?

Thanks and regards

Elena
    Last edited by Elena_76; 06-07-2005 at 05:48 PM.