Thread: How to copy logins from one server to the other

Jannat Guest

How to copy logins from one server to the other

We are in process of migrating of databases from one Server to another, Can anyone please suggest me how to transfer or copy the logins from one Server to the other instead of creating them all over again??

Thanks in advance...

Greg Guest

How to copy logins from one server to the other (reply)

Jannat,

The way we normally do this is script a the database as follows:

1. In EM, right click the database and select All Tasks | Generate SQL Scripts
    2. Select at least one table (possibly all of them if you want to script object level permissions
    3.On the Options tab under Security Scripting Options, check "Script database users and roles" and "Script SQL Server logins..." (plus "script object level permissions" if needed)
    4. The resulting script will generate all logins, NT authenticated users, database access for users plus roles and if checked object level permissions. The olny thing that will not be included in this script is passwords for the SQL Server logins - these you will have to add to the script manually. (See BOL "sp_addlogin" for correct syntax)

I would advise creating the SQL Server logins/nt users before running any DTS or Restore process to migrate the database - this will prevent orphaned users.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

. . Greg

------------
    Jannat at 9/10/01 4:32:06 PM

We are in process of migrating of databases from one Server to another, Can anyone please suggest me how to transfer or copy the logins from one Server to the other instead of creating them all over again??

Thanks in advance...