Thread: Win NT integrated logging: User names have underscore(_)

Ali Malekshahi Guest

Win NT integrated logging: User names have underscore(_)

I want to establish logging using NT Security. The problem is that user names in NT have underscore(_). When I establish NT Scurity in SQL security manager, SQL Server tries to add blank names as login id and they will not go through. Is it manadatory to remove underscore from username?

Because of structrual hierarchy, I have different groups in NT to be mapped to SQL Server groups and each group has different permission on SQL tables. In some cases we might have same users in more than one group. I read that it is not possible if you use NT integrated security. Is there any thing that can be worked around this and is this problem still exists in SQL 7.

Thank you in advance
    Ali Malekshahi

Janne Hakulinen Guest

Win NT integrated logging: User names have underscore(_) (reply)

Hi,

You will have to change the mappings at Server configuration / Security options at EM. Change Map _: to (none) and try Map $: to (domain separator )

We had this same problem and this soleved it out.
    -Janne

On 1/8/99 9:41:54 AM, Ali Malekshahi wrote:
    > I want to establish logging using NT Security. The problem is that user
    > names in NT have underscore(_). When I establish NT Scurity in SQL security
    > manager, SQL Server tries to add blank names as login id and they will not
    > go through Is it manadatory to remove underscore from username?

Because
    > of structrual hierarchy, I have different groups in NT to be mapped to SQL
    > Server groups and each group has different permission on SQL tables. In
    > some cases we might have same users in more than one group. I read that it
    > is not possible if you use NT integrated security. Is there any thing that
    > can be worked around this and is this problem still exists in SQL
    > 7.

Thank you in advance
    Ali Malekshahi

Hi Janne,

Could you explain me how to change these parameters?
    I've found xp_loginconfig (read-only function) but not functions/sp to update them...

Thanks for your help!
    François

Try adding logins from Query Analyzer instead of GUI. You can try putting name is square brackets

CREATE LOGIN [<domainName>\<login_name>] FROM WINDOWS;