Thread: System Tables

qinglee Guest

System Tables

Hello,

I've one Sybase DBA asking this question, Is this really true, Pls help me.

Due to architectural changes in SQL Server 7.0, you cannot dump the transaction log if a database's system tables are inaccessible (due to media failure, for instance)in 7.0 and later versions. Microsoft recommends that separate devices be used for system tables and user tables to allow a final log backup to take place in the event the data device is inaccessible. The additional exposure incurred by not doing this is possible loss of data for the interval between the last transaction dump and the point of failure.

Thanks
    Qinglee

Gary Andrews Guest

System Tables (reply)

As best as I know, this is true for SQL 7, but not for SQL 2000.

solart

------------
    qinglee at 7/10/2002 9:47:50 AM

Hello,

I've one Sybase DBA asking this question, Is this really true, Pls help me.

Due to architectural changes in SQL Server 7.0, you cannot dump the transaction log if a database's system tables are inaccessible (due to media failure, for instance)in 7.0 and later versions. Microsoft recommends that separate devices be used for system tables and user tables to allow a final log backup to take place in the event the data device is inaccessible. The additional exposure incurred by not doing this is possible loss of data for the interval between the last transaction dump and the point of failure.

Thanks
    Qinglee