Thread: Having problem with linked server

Hybrid View

Faisal Malik Guest

Having problem with linked server

Hi there,

I was trying to create a linked server with NT authentication but I am getting error messages every time I am trying to execute a query. Here is the error message.

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. Authentication failed.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'.]

If anybody have any idea to fix it, please let me know.

Thanks

-Faisal Malik

Gary Andrews Guest

Having problem with linked server (reply)

The server you define the link on (local server) acts as a client to the "linked to" server. Please allow me to call the "linked to" server a remote server.

In order for the client server (local server) to connect to the remote server requires security authentication exist on the remote server. When you define the linked server, a part of this process describes how the security authorization is to be handled by the remote server.

Basically you can do one of the following:
    1. Have the client connect to the remote server using the client's account.
    2. Map the client account to an account that exists on the remote server.
    3. Specify a specific account and password that is to be used to connect to the remote computer.

The understanding of the above is fairly easy if NT accounts are being used and slightly more complicated if you are using SQL server accounts.

Please refer to BOL.

solart

------------
    Faisal Malik at 7/10/2002 4:58:54 PM

Hi there,

I was trying to create a linked server with NT authentication but I am getting error messages every time I am trying to execute a query. Here is the error message.

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. Authentication failed.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'.]

If anybody have any idea to fix it, please let me know.

Thanks

-Faisal Malik