Thread: How to copy Oracle database to another machine

How to copy Oracle database to another machine

My work computer has a Oracle 12c server set up that contains data for our LIMS application. I'm trying to make a copy of this complete database, which I have full access to, and replicate its structure and data on my home computer.

I have used dbForge Studio for Oracle to export all the data to Excel files.

On my home computer I installed Oracle 12c Home version.

I can't seem to find step by step instructions of how to make this happen, at least ones that I can understand and follow.

What steps can I take to make this happen? Free tools, tutorials, instructions?

Thanks!

I completely agree with this, that you have to Install software, backup and restore.

1. Use the NORMAL or IMMEDIATE options to shut down the source database.

2. Make a copy of all data files. To retrieve their names, choose the name from
    v$datafile
    ;

3. Copy all redo logs from the internet. To retrieve their names, choose the member from
    v$logfile

4. Make a copy of all the control files. To acquire their names, choose the name from v$controlfile;

5. Copy the parameter file to your computer. In Unix, look in
    $ORACLE HOME/dbs
    , while in Windows, look in
    $ORACLE HOME/database
    . The file is called initDBNAME.ora, with DBNAME being the database name.

6. All files must be stored in folders with the same name as the directories on the source server. The names returned by the above queries are fully qualified directory names.

7. Make all of the folders listed in the parameter file you copied. 8. The commands will be BDUMP, CDUMP, and UDUMP. Simply replicate all of the folders that your parameter file specifies.

9. Make changes to the parameter file that you copied. If REMOTE LOGIN PASSWORDFILE is set to SHARED or EXCLUSIVE, change it to NONE.
    Activate the database.

10. You must recreate a genuine temporary tablespace if you utilize it for sorting. The database will continue to run, but the first sort that attempts to write to it will fail. The manuals provide simple syntax.

11. Run ORAPWD to re-enable remote authentication. The syntax is as follows:

orapwd
    Usage: orapwd file=<fname> password=<password> entries=<users>
    where:
    file = name of password file (mand)
    password = password for SYS (mand)
    entries = maximum number of distinct DBAs and OPERs (opt).
    There are no spaces around the equal-to (=) character
    12. Change REMOTE LOGIN PASSWORDFILE to SHARED or EXCLUSIVE in the parameter file.

13. Restart the DB for it to take affect.

Export the source database: On the source machine, use the Oracle Data Pump export utility (expdp) to export the source database. This will create a set of files containing the data and structures of the source database. You can use the following command to do this:

expdp username/password directory=data_pump_dir dumpfile=mydb.dmp logfile=mydb.log

Copy the export files to the target machine: Use a tool like scp or rsync to copy the export files from the source machine to the target machine.

Create a new, empty database on the target machine: On the target machine, use the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA) to create a new, empty database that has the same characteristics as the source database.

Import the data into the target database: Use the Oracle Data Pump import utility (impdp) to import the data from the export files into the target database. You can use the following command to do this:

impdp username/password directory=data_pump_dir dumpfile=mydb.dmp logfile=mydb.log

Update the listener and tnsnames.ora: Update the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files on the target machine to reflect the new database.

Start the new database: Start the new database on the target machine and test the connection to it to make sure it is working correctly.

Please keep in mind that the specific steps and commands used to copy the database may vary depending on the version of Oracle you are using. It is always recommended to consult the official documentation of the product for the same. Additionally, it's always good to have a backup of the database before doing this process, in case anything goes wrong.