Quote Originally Posted by GolferGuy View Post
BTW, when someone says they have no understanding of the field, yoy, qoq, yoy 12 month trail, qoq sequential are what the data is, but in my experience, understand is very important and the yoy, qoq, etc. do not add to understanding for someone that does not know the field. At least Google knows and will explain it.
Now, to your problem, and this will be the last I offer. Looks like you want to store the results of a ton of calculations. I'm assuming that if your stored the raw numbers the calculations could then be done rather than storing the answers. But then again, I will also assume that doing the calculations to come up with the 1300 results, per day, would take a long time. Overall, the decision will have to be made somewhere as to how much all of these answers are truly worth. How much analysis can be done with 1300 daily data points, and after all that analysis, can someone really make that much better decision than only using 200, 300 data points? From what I have seen in all sorts of industry, it is the people that can make the analysis from a rational number of data points that actually "get ahead" in the world. Those are the people that can think and understand and "feel" where things are going. The people that need to analyze "everything" seem to never get anywhere except more analysis. What I was trying to find out, and I think I did find out, was why so much data.
Good luck getting what you need. Remember, moderation in all things.
Our strategy has been a top 10 or 15 global macro strategy (depending on how you evaluate it) for 14 years. We believe "the answer" over the long-term changes frequently therefore it is often more complex than is comfortable for the human brain. You have to "know" more and adapt quickly to win. We leverage quant programming (me) and common sense to stay on top and in front of that. Most strategies can't see the forest for the trees. And sometimes you even have to change forests all together. Our systems need the breadth of data to make this possible. I will tell you that "the answer" in the short-term is often simple, but you have to change frequently to "stay right". Simple is comfortable and "right" at any point in time, but wrong soon. Everything in moderation -- including moderation. - Harvey Steiman

Thank you for trying to help!

-mountainclimber