Thread: Memory configuration recommendation

Memory configuration recommendation

Greetings -

I am managing a server which runs one large database, over 130 GB, I am getting a lot of IO wait time related to templog and data files wait time. The tempdb size is set to 9.75 MB. We are also getting buffer related errors. The vendor blames on not having the meomry size set correctly on the server. The current mem size is set to defualt (min:0 - Max: 2147483647 MB). Do you have any recommendation to how we need to setup the memory? Please advise.

Thanks,
    Lava

Your tempdb size may be too small, probably it is expanding dynamically causing IO waits. You should experiment to bigger tempdb.

Hello skhanal -

I did some research as well and found that the mem max size needs to be adjusted based on your physical RAM. The server has 12 GM RAM, it is recommended to set the max size to 10000 MB. What is your recommendation? Can you please provide me your input?

Thanks,
    Lava

Is it 32 or 64-bit machine? Is it dedicated sql server?

It is 64 bit dedicated machine

I went ahead and changed the max size to 10GB, however memoory free space still below 1 GB. I used perfmon to monitor the sever, and SQL appears to be using a lot of memory. Should I resize it to 8GB?? What you think?

Leave it at 10gb, 1gb free memory for OS is not that bad on dedicated sql server.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao View Post
    Leave it at 10gb, 1gb free memory for OS is not that bad on dedicated sql server.
    Thank you! Will do.