Thread: Won't authenticate SA account from different subnet

Exclamation Won't authenticate SA account from different subnet

I'm running 2008 R2 standard on a server that is hosting MAX mrp system database. I have MPLS to another location on a different subnet where I can see it, move files both ways and map drives to it all day. The problem is that no matter what I try, when I login to the database it will not authenticate the SA account. I am using SQL authentication but have tried Windows authentication but no joy. Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Make sure you are using TCP as protocol for network connectivity in your machine, use SQL Configuration Manager to verify it.

What's error message you got? Is sql port open between machines?

skhanal - Verified the TCP protocol

rmiao - I'll have to go to the other location and get the error again so I can post it verbatim. The connection port was set to 1433 but currently I have it opened to all ports.

Let me add that this server is NOT running in a domain and the only roles in place are fileshare and SQL Server, so no AD service, no replication service, no telnet.... all of the policies in place allow database logon from within the server's subnet.

Could there be something getting stripped from the TCP packets by the NATting thats causing the SA account not to authenticate??

I've been on this all day and still no go....

Can test sql port with telnet.