Thread: Merge Replication

Merge Replication

Hi,
    I am trying to make a merge replication between 2 remote machines: The remote server is running Windows 2008 Server with SQL database Server 2008 , the other local machine is running on a Windows7 and running also 2008 SQL Server.

I have configured my distribution database on the server and I have made a shared folder and gave it all the needed authority on the same Server as well.Then I have configured the Publisher on the same server along with the distribution and according to my reading that's the common used configuration.

Then I have configured my Subscriber on the local machine (Windows 7) with the same version of database.

However, once I start monitoring the replication from the subscriber I get this error "The schema script for tablename.csh could not be propagated to the subscriber". When I look into the publication side I see that there is an error about accessing the shared folder that I have created on the server, basically it cannot read it but I am sure that I have added all the needed authority for read/write to that folder, and I put this folder under the Administrators account and also I can see it under Computer management under the shared folder.

Sorry for my long question but I have worked hard on this and I would appreciate any help from the community.

Where did I go wrong with this? Is it the way I have shared this folder? Or the security agent.

I have followed the tutorial on this link http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/72401/[^] which is really good but still I am getting the same error.

Your help is highly appreciated!!

Are those machines in same domain? Did you start sql services with domain account? If not in domain, try create local admin account with same id/pwd on both machines and start sql service with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao View Post
    Are those machines in same domain? Did you start sql services with domain account? If not in domain, try create local admin account with same id/pwd on both machines and start sql service with it.
    No they are on different domains...I have used the same domain account for the publisher which is different from the domain account for the subscriber...do you think this is the problem? And why?

Are those domains trusted? If not, account in domain a can't access server in domain b. It's by design.

Are those domains trusted? If not, account in domain a can't access server in domain b. It's by design.
    Could you please elaborate on this answer? Is there a way to design my merge replication securely without sharing a folder on the server

Then how can sql copy files cross servers?

Then how can sql copy files cross servers?
    I have managed to run the merge replication on both machines where the Publish and Distributor are on the remote server and the Subscriber is on the local machine with a pull type. However, I get error when getting the bulk of data from the publisher...sometimes it complains about copying one table and sometimes it complains about accessing the shared folder. Even though I can access the shared folder on the remote from my local machine using the relative path....

I don't know what I am missing here ..