Thread: Hyperlinking a Query to a Form

Hyperlinking a Query to a Form

Hi guys.
    First things first, to the powers that be, my thanks to you for enabling my posting privledges.

Secondly, I'm presently constructing a CRM database in Access 2003, and the boss man has asked me to do something I haven't the foggiest idea how to do.

Basically, what I have set up is your bog-standard form with all the inputs in it, and a bog-standard query to narrow it down so an employee can check their over-due and upcoming customer entries. What I'm wondering, is "is it possible to create a hyperlink or button on the query to jump to the corresponding entry in the form", and if so, how?

Do you mean that you want to click on the customer, or event, or whatever is being displayed in the query so you can then view (or edit) the actual master file record for that line being displayed in the query?

BTW, what is a "bog-standard form" and a "bog-standard query"?

Quote Originally Posted by GolferGuy View Post
    Do you mean that you want to click on the customer, or event, or whatever is being displayed in the query so you can then view (or edit) the actual master file record for that line being displayed in the query?

BTW, what is a "bog-standard form" and a "bog-standard query"?
    Not quite, more so what I'm trying to do is keep the information in the query limited to a date, and a customer name, but when you click on that entry it closes (or hides) the query and opens the form to that customer, so the employee is able to see all of the data.

And um...bog-standard is slang for completely standard.

Here is what I would do for this situation.
    1. Create a form that would display the query results (use the query as the form's record source. I would create on OnClick event on the record level of the form.
    2. Create (as you already have) a form to display the data. I believe you called that your bog-standard form.
    3. Create a new form with a tab control on the form.
    a. use the query display form as a subform within the first tab
    b. use the bog-standard form as a subform within the second tab.
    4. Have the OnClick event in the query subform open the second tab of the tab control, and set that bog-standard form to the customer ID from the query.
    If you don't know how to do any of these steps, I would suggest asking for help on each step individually.

This has worked absoloutely perfectly! Thank you so much!

You got that working in 10 minutes?

More so I started building a sample version of it, and found a short-cut about ten minutes in that the boss prefered to use.

But I wouldn't have had any idea how to do it without your help

Glad I could help. I know that things that have been suggested to me before, have worked because it made me think of something else. If you have time, after this is working, it would be good to come back here and outline it for others to see a different way of solving this type of situation.